Discuss Is my neighbours soil/waste pipe allowed to be over my driveway in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, Im hoping someone could give me some advice please. I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I'm posting incorrectly or in the wrong place. I am looking for advice on my neighbours bathroom waste pipe. I'll try to explain this as best as I can. Our neighbours house is set forward from ours, but is connected at the side to the full length of our driveway. They have their bathroom in the front of the house which I believe they moved when they built an attic conversion years ago, however this means that their bathroom waste pipe, which carries their toilet waste, runs along the side of their house, raised up right over our driveway and then runs the full length of their house towards the back of our driveway and over the boundary wall in to their garden. Our house goes at an angle so the driveway narrows at the back meaning that to enter our garden we are literally right up against the pipe when entering the garden through the very narrow gate. We have never been comfortable with the way it's been done as not only is it completely unsightly, we constantly hear the water flowing from it and any problems with that pipe leaking means we could end up with excrement over our land and our cars or guests cars. This has been a major concern over recent months as we have noticed puddles of water at times and when we had the very cold weather at the start of the year, one day we noticed long icicles hanging from the pipes indicating that there is possibly a leak there. They were informed but he checked it and saw no major problems so it has been left, even though water still gathers on dry days. Now we are looking at the possibility of a structure being built to the side of the house and they have used the pipe as a reason to contest against us building as they need access to it to maintain it, however there would be no problem with access regardless of what we want to do as we have purposely left space on plans to allow them access anyway. I must note that this pipe was there before we bought the house however I strongly believe this should never have been put over our land the way it has to begin with. I have never seen a house with a waste pipe that goes over someone else's land/property like this before. I cant understand how this is allowed from a health and safety point of view, should the pipe fail/leak in any way, not to mention the potential to damage cars. So I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this sort of situation, and if anyone can tell me if it's wrong that this pipe is where it is or is it allowed? Sorry if theres anything that doesnt make sense, its not an easy set up to explain.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• pipe 2.PNG
    pipe 2.PNG
    211.7 KB · Views: 65
  • pipe.PNG
    pipe.PNG
    671.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20210811_191614.jpg
    IMG_20210811_191614.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Some clear pictures of the problem pipework would be useful.
Hi yes i'm trying to get some, unfortunately we have awful weather today, so i only have one taken from by the front door, not one showing the full driveway. I have attached it to this reply. If the heavy rain does stop i will go out and try and take another showing the full length. This photo does give an idea how it looks. It comes down at an angle towards the back and the in to their garden.

Attachments

• IMG_20210811_191614.jpg
    IMG_20210811_191614.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Hi, Im hoping someone could give me some advice please. I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I'm posting incorrectly or in the wrong place.
Whether a drain is leaking or not is easily established with a pressure test.

Just because your neighbour has objected doesn't mean that their objection is valid. Talk to your planning officer. If you are polite and ask them for help rather than trying to lay down the law you'll find them very helpful.

The rest of your question is a matter for a solicitor or whoever conveyanced your house. This situation should never have been allowed to develop in the first place and sorting it out will need someone who knows about easements, boundary disputes, etc.

Last edited:
Whether a drain is leaking or not is easily established with a pressure test.

Just because your neighbour has objected doesn't mean that their objection is valid. Talk to your planning officer. If you are polite and ask them for help rather than trying to lay down the law you'll find them very helpful.

The rest of your question is a matter for a solicitor or whoever conveyanced your house. This situation should never have been allowed to develop in the first place and sorting it out will need someone who knows about easements, boundary disputes, etc.
Hi, thank you for reply. The planning part i'm not too worried about as that will all be sorted out as the process goes along. We've just always questioned how this was allowed even before any planning was put in and have wanted to find out our rights with it. Obviously if it turns out to be a factor in stopping the planning going ahead, if it shouldn't be there it would be annoying for that to end up with us being refused approval. I understand in some cases 2 houses can have their waste pipes go to the same drain, but in this case our houses are not connected and yet the pipe is over our land. The drive way already existed before the pipe was put in so seems strange how it was allowed. Unfortunately as the work was done before we bought our house we have no idea of how the situation went when it was put in. I will see about contacting a solicitor regarding the issue. I'm unsure how i will convince the neighbours to do a pressure test on the pipe as they are avoiding us since putting in planning objection lol

Normally the foundations of a house will extend 150mm or 6" away from the wall built on them and the edge of the the foundation would also normally indicate the boundary.
So the neighbours pipe could be within their boundary.

It wasn't the case in older properties as the foundation was only the width of the wall above it.

You will almost certainly need a Party Wall agreement, which the neighbour would need to agree to, as you will be excavating within 3 mtrs of their foundations and most likely below

Reply to Is my neighbours soil/waste pipe allowed to be over my driveway in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock