Search the forum,

Discuss Is my flue dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unsureguy

Can someone please help me. I have just moved into a new house and couldn't get the boiler to work. My friend is training to become a gas engineer so I thought id call him and see if he could work out how to get the thing working. He did so with no problem and no need to take anything apart, he just had to top up the pressure. He has advised me that my flue might be dangerous but he's unsure as he's not long started his training and didn't want to scare me but in all honesty he has! Before the flue goes through the wall there is some silver tape wrapped around it, is this normal practice or a botched attempt to seal any gas escapes? Will it be easy to fix or should I get a new boiler? I'm scared to keep the thing running as he said I could get carbon monoxide poisining from the gas leak on the flue. I've taken a picture but can't work out how to upload

First thing I`d do is book someone to take a look at it and buy a carbon monoxide alarm, a travel one will do then you can take it with you if you wish when you go on holidays.

Where do you live? Might be someone local to you on the forum. Post in the Looking for a plumber section of the forum. Anyone feeling dizzy or headaches then turn it off asap.

All the pictures in the world wouldn't be able to clarify if it was safe or not I'm afraid the only way to know for sure is to get a registered gas safe engineer round to inspect it.

First thing I`d do is book someone to take a look at it and buy a carbon monoxide alarm, a travel one will do then you can take it with you if you wish when you go on holidays.

Where do you live? Might be someone local to you on the forum. Post in the Looking for a plumber section of the forum. Anyone feeling dizzy or headaches then turn it off asap.

Thanks, I do have a carbon monoxide fitted in the house, something my mate pointed out but also said there's something you can spray to check it works.
Im in marston green how much would a qualified engineer cost to come out and look at it? I'm happy to pay even if he says it's fine I iust want peace of mind now.

Sounds like a Worcester, where you screw and tape when it's in the wall. Perhaps they've done it on a longer flue run or something like that. Definitely contact your agent/landlord and say you want a gas engineer to call out and look at the boiler as you fear for safety, they will act then.

As has already been mentioned, get a CO alarm.
The silver tape may just be an over zealous 'engineer' might have just taped the joint as a standard procedure of his? The safe thing to do is get a gas man to look at it. It's cheaper than getting a new boiler

Danny boy, pm gas man with your gas safe details, you can post in the members area. (Gas safe imstaller forum)

Will do

My business number or my individual one? Or just both

Thanks, I do have a carbon monoxide fitted in the house, something my mate pointed out but also said there's something you can spray to check it works.
Im in marston green how much would a qualified engineer cost to come out and look at it? I'm happy to pay even if he says it's fine I iust want peace of mind now.

Here you only have a handfull of guys looking so post again in "I`m looking for a plumber" section for a wider & quicker response, glad you`ve got the alarm by the way.

Sounds like the fitter just erred on the side of caution and taped the joint....doesn't sound like a great problem to me. !!!!

I seem to remember from my apprentice days that some flue extension pieces are fixed with self tappers and silver tape. Worcester Bosch maybe.

I remember seeing the gas safe bloke who installed an lpg boiler for me taping the join on the flue extension. It was in the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is my flue dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock