Discuss Is it worth getting an apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franky

I need a guy to help every now and again, normally use a labourer of my old mans building firm but at £90 cash a day its a bit steep and probably use him every second week or maybe once a week.
Are they worth having?
How much do you have to pay them in the London area?
How do you do interviews?
Is it worth taking on a guy who wants to become Gas safe instead?
Although I think I would prefer a level 3 apprentice I think what do you guys think?

Depends to be honest , i personally wouldn't bother with a school leaver unless you actually no them first and know that they are reliable and arnt on cloud cuckoo with there wage demands.If you can find someone thats been a bit unlucky with work or had a bum deal then i find they are more appreciative .
I would say they can be worth having and if they are good can be worth there weight in gold.It can tho go the other way .I would advise give someone a weeks trial and see how they work .

Probably go for a 2nd year apprentice would be the best choice. You dont actually have to pay them anything but £50 starting off is fair enough to be honest. Way i got my interview was my boss drove to the house and i sat in the van and he spoke to me nothing spectacular tbh, level 3 apprentices is doubtful as you need to have had work to get passed the nvq 2 side of level 2

Had two teenager apprentices.....and they were both useless and I paid them.

I have another guy who's 35, changed from an IT career, and works with me when he can (free of charge) he's brilliant, and a total asset to me.

Good advice to get a second year apprentice.

Having an apprentice is always worthwhile if you have the workload to justify it. We all had to be given the chance from someone.
Not all young lads have their head up their a... but you should choose carefully. Look up the JIB website for graded rates of pay. If they don't find them acceptable you have the wrong guy and always give them a fortnight/months trial. You'll know by then what they are like.
Getting someone who has a bit experience, ask around collages or trade bodies.
Personally i would never take on one who is over 18. For me, they have missed the boat and should have thought about it and straightened their lives out earlier.
Apprenticeships are for school leavers afaic

and i am surprised tamz did not use another of his well known catchphrases avoid "the hard of thinking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it worth getting an apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I have a Grundfos SoloLift2 WC1 on a toilet and since a few months the impeller keeps getting stuck. I was quite happy to...
Replies
Views
Evening All, Been having on and off issues with a Greenstar CDI classic Combi were the hot water is not heating up but only intermittently. Some...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock