Discuss Is it safe to turn on my central heating with cold tank empty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The insurance cover will pay for temporary work to fix an 'emergency' issue (eg, no power, water) up to £1500. They paid for an engineer visit, resulting in the tank ballcock replacement. When fitting the new one the water was turned off at the incoming mains (under the kitchen sink) and them turned back on. As far as I know (though I wasn't watching everything) that's the only thing that was done. When the mains stopcock was turned on again, water returned to the sink but nothing came out at the loft tank. That's when limescale was blamed.

There will be a closed/failed valve in the pipe to the ball valve. Never seen limescale block a cold feed pipe
Where are you could a friendly local member help

I am in Hertfordshire and have used two local plumbers before who I will be contacting for a permanent fix (if one is needed) but in the meantime I am going back to the insurers to question their diagnosis.

I have had rust/mud/cr@p block up mains pipes in the past. In some cases the mains stopcock was turned off and when turned on again drew stuff from the mains pipe or scoured it from the inside of other pipes and blocked any narrow or tight spots. Usual blockage point was the ballvalve nozzle as it doesn't take much to block it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it safe to turn on my central heating with cold tank empty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock