Discuss Is it safe to turn on my central heating with cold tank empty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

biterbit

All my upstairs water and hot water stopped working this morning. I checked and my cold water tank was empty. Via my insurance, an engineer called and tried replacing the value into the cold water tank but still no water came through. He diagnosed a blockage, probably limescale furring up the feed pipe from the mains. I'm now waiting for another visit to look at the problem but forgot to ask the engineer if I could use the central heating before he left. The insurance helpdesk said it was OK but did not sound too certain about it.

Does anyone know if it will be safe to turn on my central heating system with no cold water feed to the house (other than in the kitchen, directly off the mains)? I don't want to cause any more problems!

Thanks.

Any idea what sort of system you have such as vented or unvented? Also make and model of anything like the boiler you can find would help the guys help you later.

I think the system is about 25 years old. It has an old Potterton Netaheat 80 boiler. Vented/unvented I'm not sure about - is there a way to tell?

does it have an f and e tank? eg smaller one to the one what supplies your water

biterbit, it really helps us help you if you remember to sign in everytime you post OR click the little circle "remember me" (think that is what it says).

In the loft there is a little tank, separate from the main cold water tanks which I though was related to the heating - does that clarify the type it is.

+ thanks for logging in tip - I hadn't noticed that

In the loft there is a little tank, separate from the main cold water tanks which I though was related to the heating - does that clarify the type it is.

+ thanks for logging in tip - I hadn't noticed that

yes does that about about 2-3 inches above the outlet pipe?

chuck a bucket of water in it to get u going
also, is there a stopcock in the airing cupboard thats closed?, it also may be clogged with scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
The small tank is F&E for heating and provided it has a bucket of water in it your heating will be fine. Depress ball cock on F&E to confirm blockage in mains supply.

Yes - it's above the outlet pipe an have just a few litres of water in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it safe to turn on my central heating with cold tank empty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock