Search the forum,

Discuss Is a soil vent mandatory? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

My builder has removed the soil vent pipe stating that an AAV would suffice.
As I have had some troubles with them I have started to question what they say so I have done a bit of digging. From the internet I don't seem to find a clear answer about this.
Could you please clarify this for me? Do I need to ask to building regulation? I am scared that if I get in touch with them, it will open a can of worms...
On the other had, I don't want to have problems when I sell my house. Is this likely to come up in a report? I live in a terraced house all all properties around mine have a soil vent pipe on the roof.

Building reg statest the following: (see screens attached)

According to this my interpretation is that it is not mandatory for a system to be vented as long as there is a AAV complying to BS EN 12380:2002.
Is this correct?

Attachments

• 1660909899187.png
    1660909899187.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 1660909921812.png
    1660909921812.png
    31 KB · Views: 10
He/she may have assessed the set up and decided it is ventilated well enough for you not to require a fully open vent stack?

If the AAV used is acceptable for external use and the system is well ventilated so that gases can escape and air can move in and out freely, then it should be OK.

That's only my opinion of course. Each installation should be taken on its own merits.

He/she may have assessed the set up and decided it is ventilated well enough for you not to require a fully open vent stack?

If the AAV used is acceptable for external use and the system is well ventilated so that gases can escape and air can move in and out freely, then it should be OK.

That's only my opinion of course. Each installation should be taken on its own merits.

As I have mentioned, they have made quite a lot of snags that I caught just before was too late. Sadly, the trust if far gone for this job :(
They have removed the vent stack entirely. There is no pipe coming trough the roof anymore. Their intention is to fit an AAV integrated in the basin trap and that's it. While I am not a plumber, I do have the ugly feeling that something that small would not be enough for a 2 storey house with 2 bathrooms. I could request for a larger AAV to be fitted on top of the stack that is located in the toilet but there would still be no vent.

Regarding regs, it's not a hard requirement then?

You should have one vent on the drainage system vented to external then the rest can be durgo

So is your system vented ?

Yes or anyone on your drainage/run of pipework

You should be fine as the drains can’t pressurised

Correct as the drains are vented via the other houses it’s best practice to have your own vent but aslong as one of the other houses that’s connected to your line is vented your fine via regs

Me personally I would want my house venting as you can control this yourself who says 5 years down the line the other houses change to durgos Everyone starts to have problems then

Reply to Is a soil vent mandatory? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock