Search the forum,

Discuss Is 1k for a website about right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've had a price of someone suggested to me by a friend of a friend to build me a website and he quoted around £1000.

I've had a couple of cheaper quotes in the past £600-£800 but this bloke explained it a little bit more and said he wouldnt go with building a basic site from the likes of wix.com as the seo is very basic and isn't as good apparently.

Does this sound about right?

Dunno mate. My website brings me plenty of enquiries. Two pages. First is who we are what we do. Second is a contact page.

Did my own about 10 years ago via Bluvoda. Took me a few weeks a couple of hours at a time and I update prices and info every year or so but costs me about £80 a year for hosting and domain. Pays for itself so I'm happy with it.
www.jafcoplumbing.co.uk

I did my own years back took ages and looked ok but it was full of glitches etc and didnt get very high up google etc and it's more the seo I am after and without sounding rude 9/10 self made websites you can tell they were not made by a pro.

I want it to look the bees knees and get me high up the search engines (I know I wont compete with the likes of bg and checkatrade so I'm realistic) as this is part of me trying to ditch the bigger jobs.

I did my own years back took ages and looked ok but it was full of glitches etc and didnt get very high up google etc and it's more the seo I am after and without sounding rude 9/10 self made websites you can tell they were not made by a pro.

I want it to look the bees knees and get me high up the search engines (I know I wont compete with the likes of bg and checkatrade so I'm realistic) as this is part of me trying to ditch the bigger jobs.

My mate designs networks doing a website is like a tap washer to us.
I looked af SEO other week aparently you xan do it yourself quiteceasily

FWIW. Don't get too caught up in the SEO stuff. That is vital when you are selling widgets (and are driven by sales qtys) but NOT when you are selling yourself - which is what tradespeople do.

Most websites are an 'online brochure' so very very few customers will come to you through it being up high. Fact is the average tradesman cannot compete with the dedicated and expensive business of sitting on top and on top is where price is king NOT quality or caring.

When I had my personal site, I only ever got two enquiries from it. All my other work came as a consequence of participating in more 'local' sites and demonstrating I was willing to help people. Few forget that. That way you build your rep.

Having a simple, well constructed site which shows what you're capable of is the same as asking for refs. Remember to ask permission to post customer pictures and if possible get a comment from the cust to go with it.

FWIW. Don't get too caught up in the SEO stuff. That is vital when you are selling widgets (and are driven by sales qtys) but NOT when you are selling yourself - which is what tradespeople do.

Most websites are an 'online brochure' so very very few customers will come to you through it being up high. Fact is the average tradesman cannot compete with the dedicated and expensive business of sitting on top and on top is where price is king NOT quality or caring.

When I had my personal site, I only ever got two enquiries from it. All my other work came as a consequence of participating in more 'local' sites and demonstrating I was willing to help people. Few forget that. That way you build your rep.

Having a simple, well constructed site which shows what you're capable of is the same as asking for refs. Remember to ask permission to post customer pictures and if possible get a comment from the cust to go with it.

Thing is my aim is to go for the reactive work and smaller jobs like tap changes the thing about this work is people dont tend to trawl through pages of Google and pick a few then phone round and get estimates etc it's more I have no heating or a dripping tap when can you get here, the first person to say either today or tomorrow wins the job.

I know I wont compete with the likes of bg homeserve etc but I believe that people will bypass these if they prefer a small local company/person so I want to compete with other Joe blogs heating services in my area type thing and look more professional and higher up so I get called first and not third or fourth.

That's my logic anyway. I might be totally wrong on this but it wouldnt be the first time.

People will bypass them anyway from my experience . You are dead right tho if you can get their that day customers will love that.
Monday i have gas hob in the morning followed by boiler pump.
Afternoon electric shower, don't forget afternoon siesta.
All local work try push for 300 labour on all that, why bother with heat packs when you can potter for a living

People will bypass them anyway from my experience . You are dead right tho if you can get their that day customers will love that.
Monday i have gas hob in the morning followed by boiler pump.
Afternoon electric shower, don't forget afternoon siesta.
All local work try push for 300 labour on all that, why bother with heat packs when you can potter for a living

Exactly boiler changes you fight for 250-275 a day and you have to work your balls off the little jobs I can easily make 250 and hardly break a sweat and home by 4.

My way of looking at it is I pay 150 every 3 months for a local magazine so £600 a year a website the main cost is building it then running it is relatively cheap it may only take say 10 jobs a year to cover it so in a way it's just another way to be spotted. So 1 job a month and profit.

Reply to Is 1k for a website about right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock