Discuss internal van racking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shezzaar

I know many differenct aspects of racking have been discussed before, but i am just wondering what is better, metal racking or plywood racking?
I know metal racking comes to a cost, I have been quoted around £1,800. For what i want doing. (I do have the money but obviously dont want to waste it)
I just want to know what people prefer, plywood or metal racking?

also whether or not i get metal racking, I am thinking of having a false floor, to store different pipe and a ladder. Could this be done with wood/ply? And still be able to hold tools and a weight of a person?

thanks in advance

The new transit has a flap in the bulkhead in the back that goes under the twin seats so the pipe can be stored inside the van....the third seat (nearest to passenger door) also lifts up for storeage....bit like the transporter...

thanks clarky, something to bare in mind..... but the main reason for the false floor is so that i can than put stuff ontop of the pipe work. and than still leave a full floor for baths or other things i may need for jobs.

thanks jase,
How would i attach the 4x2 to the floor of the van?

looking a this link Van Racking | THISisCarpentry
he said that he screwed his false floor down, and also used the original ply lining in the van
thanks, guys with your help

either use sticks like sh*t, that's the actual name!! or if you are feeling brave the use bolts an bolt them down, if you already have ply lining on floor then just screw into that as should be bolted down. the other option is to screw into side supports and build it from there!! hope this makes sense!! so get 1 length of 4 x 2 screw it into the side supports, then connect all the rest to these. hard to explain, but bit of imagination and you will get there

ive ply'd 2 transit's out and have done false floors both times in 18 mm ply across the whole floor sitting on bits of 5 x 2 big screws through the ply. cut the ply around the wheel arches and in won't move. no need to fix it to the van. then built the shelving from there. Both vans were ply lined from the factory

alex, are you saying that you screwed the 5x2 down to the ply or did you use glue?
I am now thinking what to use, as i think there are good stuff to both regards, sticks like sh*t or just screwing them down, might do both.
how long does the '
sticks like sh*t' take to stick to the ply, would i need to clamp it down? would i need to leave it a day?

thanks so far guys!!

alex, are you saying that you screwed the 5x2 down to the ply or did you use glue?
I am now thinking what to use, as i think there are good stuff to both regards, sticks like sh*t or just screwing them down, might do both.
how long does the '
sticks like sh*t' take to stick to the ply, would i need to clamp it down? would i need to leave it a day?

thanks so far guys!!

no need to use glue/sticks like poop. the ply sitting round the wheel arch will hold it in place. will stick a pic up later on.

sorry if i am misinterpreting what you are saying alex, are you saying that i wouldnt need to screw the 5x2 into the van floor? if so wouldnt it be a little wobbly underfoot on the false floor?
pics would be good if you could, alex,
thanks for your help.

all i get is wine racking when i google it :D

Unregistered so didn`t even bother Shaun, infact don`t even know why I replied tbh. lol

its always fun to see what they post before the big man comes and hammers them back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to internal van racking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock