Discuss Intermittent fault, Eurocal with Sterling ST108 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah photocell is fine one of the 1st things I check tbh being as its a common problem. Havent heard back from them yet will give him a ring in a couple of days and see how it is going

Went back today as it decided not to light yesterday swapped the transformer and much stronger spark now but still wouldnt light, opened bleed valve and boom no oil traced it to the fire valve which wasnt tripped but wasnt letting oil pass so was letting it through sometimes and closing off supply randomly! swapped valve and bobs your uncle! Did my head in as everytime I tested it before there was oil present! Funny thing is I advised changing the valve when I serviced it

Good to hear problem sorted , most common intermittent fault I've found with sterling's is the transformer. They seam to get a very weak spark over time , I always keep a spare for intermittent sterling faults .

Yep weak spark before now it goes like a good un, I wouldn't fancy putting my finger near it lol! I think that somehow the old firevalve was randomly closing when the boiler turned off and then when custard tried to turn it back on yesterday it just pulled what oil was left out of pipework made it easier for me in a sense as I could diagnose it quicker!

Was an old Teddington with the pin on the bottom I would say about 10 years old

The Teddington KBB firevalves (& probably all other types) are very small inside & block with the tiniest dot of sludge. They are something I am very careful about. I flush oil lines by removing the KBB so I don't get dirt in it & akso get full flow through the oil line.
As you said, the oil can appear to be flowing okay & the boiler running, but the line is blocked. Same with oil filters. The paper element filter fitted at oil tank does a great job to keep the oil line clean.

Those fire valves cannot open and shut on their own, they are one or the other. Maybe it held a partial blockage or might be a red herring. Did you check tank filter?

I recommended it was changed at service due to it not shutting supply off when tested I would say dirt is the most probable cause over time as the filters were dirty. Custard said it had been like it for a 'few years' but they dont use heating much as they have a log burner etc, I would say it hadnt been serviced in quite a few years. Definitely one I will remember though!

Those fire valves cannot open and shut on their own, they are one or the other. Maybe it held a partial blockage or might be a red herring. Did you check tank filter?
Yes I serviced it and cleaned all filters previously, they were all still fine, traced the blockage to fire valve, it couldn't be reset by pressing button. I had checked it on previous visit to no avail. As with anything mechanical it can do things out of the ordinary! Guess time will tell, needed changing anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermittent fault, Eurocal with Sterling ST108 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morco feb 24ed3 has a f1 fault code. The burner reading is fine. The fault is intermittent, sometimes the boiler won't ignite on either hot water...
Replies
Views
I am having a problem with my main 24he boiler where the flame is constantly clicking on and off with the heating and when using hot water. Some...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and...
Replies
Views
I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please. We have an old traditional old Potterton E50 boiler with an old Honeywell...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock