Discuss Intermittent bad smell in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

MatthewG
When I originally read your first post, I couldn't understand why you were concentrating on the smell coming from your central heating system. My first thought was that it would be from the drains. Maybe coloured by having drain smell problems in our property.
The obvious thing to check is to ensure all traps are full of water (unless you've got Hepvo traps), sinks, basins, showers, any separate vertical wastepipes for washing machine/ dishwasher etc. Particularly looking at any that are infrequently used.

There should be a vent open to atmosphere (outside the building!) somewhere in the drainage system, possibly even in an adjoining property. The reason is to relieve any occasional positive pressure in the system, and without this, smells can find their way by blowing past traps, or through a faulty Air Admittance Valve, or through any leaking joint, into the house. It's become the norm to install AAV's in new bathroom or toilet conversions, but they are only to allow air into the drainage system, to stop a vacuum forming from say a toilet flush, which could suck water out of a trap. So here again, a 'stuck' AAV could result in a trap emptying enough to allow smells into the room.

I bought one of these to track down the source of sewer gas. It can be a bit sensitive to set up/ adjust, but it did work!

Last edited:
I looked for the waste pipes earlier and noticed this. That's the vent right? Surely that should stop there.

Attachments

• IMG_7260.jpg
    IMG_7260.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 12
That would do it need extending externally

Would an air admittance valve work here?
Yes. It would certainly improve matters regarding smell.
I think many would fit an AAV in your situation.
In theory there should be a vent to atmosphere somewhere in the vicinity, so if you, or even your neighbours, have another open soil stack on the outside of the house, I believe an AAV would be in order here.
Is there any evidence that the pipe in your photo used to go through the roof? Another issue to consider is if there are any opening windows above where the pipe would come out.

If you have another vent to outside then an aav would be fine

Reply to Intermittent bad smell in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock