Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Installing pipes in a cavity wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wily

Hi. Newbie here so go easy with me please.

I'm installing a wood burning boiler stove in my living room , but the only route for the plumbing
without spoiling the décor with boxing in of pipes, is routing them inside the cavity wall. Although
it was at one time an outside wall, a two story extension now renders it an inside wall. It is not
filled with insulation and would be an ideal route for my plumbing.

My question is: are there any building regs to comply with regarding pipes installed in cavity walls,
internal or otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wily

Sounds like a ballbuster trying to get them in for the sake of a bit of boxing!! Mount them on the surface and box them,

By the way... are you a heatas reg plumber?

Sounds like a ballbuster trying to get them in for the sake of a bit of boxing!! Mount them on the surface and box them,

By the way... are you a heatas reg plumber?

It will be fairly simple to get them in, as I only have to knock a couple of holes into the cavity.
One from my garage, and the other in the cylinder cupboard. There will be no joints in the
pipework inside the cavity and there is sufficient gap to fully insulate them. Much easier
than keeping SWMBO happy by not having to box in and re-decorate.

I'm not a HETAS approved plumber, but my local authority inspector is (including flue liner etc).
I cant' get him
out for a week, but I want to get the job finished. That is why I wanted to clarify the
regs before going ahead.

My gut instinct (being a fully qualified mechanical and electrical factory engineer) tells
me
that any regs will not apply now the cavity wall is internal to the building, but I just
want to be sure. I can't find anything in Google and I don't want a jobs worth telling
me to pull them out next week.

wily

The Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS), has information about pipes in cavities and screeds,walls etc

i know ive read, you cant install them in a cavity. just flicked through the book again and cant find the correct quote.
wait for mr know it all to turn up, or give him a ring.
will save you the embaressment of ripping them out afterwards tho.

First question to ask your self is how do I, get the pipe held firmly, what"s the maximum distance between fixings in the UK?? 1.5mtrs??, going to be a bit of a sod is it not having to chop holes every 1.5 mtrs in the inner skin just so that the pipes can be clipped to the wall, and making good again
Sounds a right daft idea to me, never even seen it done in 50 odd years in the trade

I think that this will be a catch all, for what you are proposing to do, a part cut and paste from the Statutory Instrument 1999 No. 1148, the way I read the SI its a No No, on what you are thinking of doing

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999

Restriction on installation etc. of water fittings
3. - (1) No person shall-

(a) instal a water fitting to convey or receive water supplied by a water undertaker, or alter, disconnect or use such a water fitting; or

(b) cause or permit such a water fitting to be installed, altered, disconnected or used,

in contravention of the following provisions of this Part.

(2) No water fitting shall be installed, connected, arranged or used in such a manner that it causes or is likely to cause-

(i) waste, misuse, undue consumption or contamination of water supplied by a water undertaker; or

(ii) the erroneous measurement of water supplied by a water undertaker.

(3) No water fitting shall be installed, connected, arranged or used which by reason of being damaged, worn or otherwise faulty, causes or is likely to cause-

(i) waste, misuse, undue consumption or contamination of water supplied by a water undertaker; or

(ii) the erroneous measurement of water supplied by a water undertaker.

Requirements for water fittings etc.
4. - (1) Every water fitting shall-

(a) be of an appropriate quality and standard; and

(b) be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used.

(2) For the purposes of this regulation, a water fitting is of an appropriate quality or standard only if-

(a) it bears an appropriate CE marking in accordance with the Directive;

(b) it conforms to an appropriate harmonized standard or European technical approval;

(c) it conforms to an appropriate British Standard or some other national specification of an EEA State which provides an equivalent level of protection and performance; or

(d) it conforms to a specification approved by the regulator.

(3) Every water fitting shall comply with the requirements of Schedule 2 to these Regulations as it applies to that fitting.

(4) Where any requirement of Schedule 2 relates to a water system, every water fitting which forms part of that system shall be fitted or, as the case may be, altered or replaced so as to comply with that requirement.

(5) Every water fitting shall be installed, connected, altered, repaired or disconnected in a workmanlike manner.

(6) For the purposes of this regulation, a water fitting is installed, connected, altered, repaired or disconnected in a workmanlike manner only if the work is carried out so as to conform-

(a) to an appropriate British Standard, a European technical approval or some other national specification of an EEA State which provides an equivalent level of protection and performance;

(b) to a specification approved by the regulator; or

(c) to a method of installation approved by the water undertaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be fairly simple to get them in, as I only have to knock a couple of holes into the cavity.
One from my garage, and the other in the cylinder cupboard. There will be no joints in the
pipework inside the cavity and there is sufficient gap to fully insulate them. Much easier
than keeping SWMBO happy by not having to box in and re-decorate.

I'm not a HETAS approved plumber, but my local authority inspector is (including flue liner etc).
I cant' get him
out for a week, but I want to get the job finished. That is why I wanted to clarify the
regs before going ahead.

My gut instinct (being a fully qualified mechanical and electrical factory engineer) tells
me
that any regs will not apply now the cavity wall is internal to the building, but I just
want to be sure. I can't find anything in Google and I don't want a jobs worth telling
me to pull them out next week.

wily

If you are only going to knock a hole at the top and one at the bottom...how are you going to get the pipe in? lots of short bits and joint it???

putting aside the problems of fitting them this doesnt actually sound like its part of a cavity wall just a void betweeb two walls if thats the case i cant see any problem many pipe duct are brick built with access top and bottom
A room is just a cavity between two walls. just larger than what you describe

putting aside the problems of fitting them this doesnt actually sound like its part of a cavity wall just a void betweeb two walls if thats the case i cant see any problem many pipe duct are brick built with access top and bottom
A room is just a cavity between two walls. just larger than what you describe

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]I found this at defra[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/water/industry/wsregs99/documents/waterregs99-guidance.pdf[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]Location of water fittings [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]G7.1 Unless they are located in an internal wall which is not a solid wall, a chase or duct which may be[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]readily exposed, or under a suspended floor which may, if necessary, be readily removed and replaced,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]or to which there is access, water fittings should not be:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]a. located in the cavity of a cavity wall; or, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]b. embedded in any wall or solid floor; or, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]c. installed below a suspended or solid floor at ground level. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]I am assuming “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]water fittings[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]” will also apply to pipework.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]It clearly states, “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]Unless they are located in an internal wall[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]In my case, it is an internal wall. I think the use of the word “cavity” is clouding the issue, as it hasn't been an external cavity wall for over 25 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]Also, the wall will not be bricked up again once the pipes are installed, but covered by access hatches to enable maintenance, if required.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]My interpretation is that it will be O.K, to put my pipes into this “space" which was once in a cavity wall, but is now in an "internal wall with a cavity”,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, sans-serif]but I'm biased, so would appreciate other interpretations of this regulation.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Water fittings are fittings. Pipeworkl is probably OK provided there are on fittings on the hidden part. The reasoning behind that is because fittings are the usual places where leaks occur.

Whpes
So what your saying is you should not put a fitting where it is covered ?
How many fittings go under a screeded floor on first fix?
Let's be real here

all fittings in a screed floor should have an access cover to allow for maintenance, so get real yourself if your going to obey the rules

I am real that's what I said how many of us would do that I can imagine asking a builder or even a home owner to leave holes all over his new screed lol

which is why a sensible plumber now uses plastic in screed saves having proper plumbers having to go back and dig up the screed where others have been in their own little world, lol

I always pressure test no leaks then.

So your a hep man?

So your have no joints under floors then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing pipes in a cavity wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock