Discuss installing a 2 zone central heating system in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tinno

Hi

I've had an extension and have decided to replace the whole of the CHS, not that there was much there in the first place (only a smallish house). My hand has been forced in a way by the new Building Regs, however I do think it is a good idea.

I am installing two heating zones (upstairs and downstairs). I understand that for the flow I have one 22mm flow from the combi and then this gets split into two 22mm pipes, one for radiators upstairs to be connected to and the other for the downstairs radiators, each with a motorised two port valve allowing them to be controlled by a programmable room thermostat.

However, my question and I'm sure there will be many, is do the "return" pipes have to be seperate as well or can all the radiators, upstairs and downstairs be connected into the one return pipe or does this have to be seperated as well??

Any diagrams would be absolutely brilliant...can't find any on the net for how the pipeing is layed out.

Any other tips such as limit on length of pipework, limit to number of radiators would also be highly appreciated. BTW...I'm using 22mm and then teeing off to the radiators using 15mm, all HEP20,

Cheers

You can join them up but make sure you don't end up with reverse return. Look it up or call a plumber.

Hi Howsie, thx 4 the quick reply...isn't "reverse return" a method of installing the pipe work in a certain way which is beneficial to the system rather than being a problem? Or are you saying it would be a problem in a two zone system?

Honeywell do great drawings, including one on reverse circulation.

In laymens, reverse circulation occurs when you have put your return tee from the cylinder in the wrong place, so even when the heating motorised valve is shut, when the H/W valve is open, the warm return from the cylinder coil pushes back up the last radiator, and makes it warm.

Go on the honeywell site, and have a look through S plans. More than one zone, is an S plan plus.

Erm, yes he did actually!! Ha. Sorry I must have missed that and bounced off of Howsies point about reverse circulation.

You're right, he did say combi.

I would join the return where it suits you, if one zone is closed then return can only goto the boiler and if both zones are open then they will both find there way back to return on boiler. As there is only one return connection at boiler I see no reason to take two returns all the way to boiler, most simple route and will cut down on extra pipe

I do that, as soon as anyone talks about zoning (is that a word?) I automatically presume it's a conventional system, ha,

Create 2 separate returns for upstairs and downstairs in 22 and join them into 1 primary return going back to the combi.

Thanks for all your replies and taking time out to answer my query. This comes from a "wanabee" plumber who went into boring office work by mistake!!!!!!

That has given me peice of mind that I don't need to do anything special with the "return".

I have found the S-plan but is this relevant to a combi??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a 2 zone central heating system in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock