Search the forum,

Discuss Inconsistence from Gas Safe engineers on a boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jogon

I say 'engineers' but is that actually true in the strictest sense of the word? I guess that depends on how you interpret the work of a Plumber but it's by the by.

I'll put a disclaimer in here so as to not confuse some.

I am not attempting a repair of my own, I am not a DiY enthusiast where Electrics/Plumbing are concerned and no information is being sought so as to attempt a quick fix. I am also aware of the forum rules and the various notes
left around the forum re only Gas Safe 'Engineers' can work on gas appliances. I am also physically disabled and
as such and even with the best will in the world and a plethora of qualifications I would not be able to repair / maintain
a boiler.

I don't know quite how some 'engineers' can get away with what they do on Gas Appliances and still manage to get
themselves on to the Gas Safe Register.

Initially had a boiler fitted some 2+ years ago, the old one was removed by the same 'GS engineer' that fitted the
new one , day job, out with the old, in with the new. Price agreed and paid.

The reasons for the old one coming out were reliability (or lack of) and an incorrectly fitted flue with an angle that
should not have been, the angle caused water to stay in the flue pipe and rust through the inner pipe which was metal
and into the outer-pipe and then run back down into the boiler and over the components. This boiler was installed
by a Gas Safe engineer. The flue had to go through one wall, and into a small room, a couple of bends and then out
through the main wall, the length was within the defined limits of the overall flue length

Roll on to the new boiler and again fitted by GS engineer and after a short amount of time I had to call out another 'engineer' to fix several leaks on the pipework into and out of the boiler, nothing major but the pipes were weeping water, easy enough to occur I guess, this may have been a result of higher pressure on the mains in (but would of thought it would have coped)

Roll on a couple of years and I've just very recently had the new boiler serviced by the company that manufacture them, in fact it had two services in the space of three days, the latter being a check on the work carried out by the first 'engineer' which sort of shows they're amogst self regulating.

However, this is where the inconsistencies are apparent, at the point of the first service I mentioned that I was having to keep removing water from the system and that occasionally I would lose hot water, the 'engineer' then said 'ahh, that reminds me, I need to empty your expansion vessel of air and pump it back up as sometimes the 'bag' in the vessel deflates over time and cannot get the correct amount of pressure back into it (what ever that means) . He then placed some screws into the Flue pipe (the new one with the new boiler) as they were missing and technically it's some sort of 'fail' so the original installer Gas Safe engineer had forgotton or simply not bothered?

Roll onto the second service just a few days later, the first service lasted 30 mins, this service took just over 90mins and also involved running a hot water tap furthest from boiler and checking pressure, this was not done on the first service but I assume this isn't technically something that is required on a service but nontheless it was done and the report back was that the pressure being supplied by the ho****er was sufficient and within whatever boundaries set

Again I had mentioned the having to remove the cold water from the system ever 3/5 days but this time I was informed that it would most likely not be the expansion vessel but instead quite possibly that of a small flexi hose under the boiler as they had a tendency over time to leak/weep, he couldn't replace it as he didn't have one. I asked if I could get one from a plumbers merchant but was told it's a manufactuers part only ( not quite sure thats right because it looks pretty standard with it's fitting) but he was adamant it wouldn't be the expansion vessel. However, after reading here somewhere I can
see the problem with the over pressurising could be a seal on the expansion vessel?

In the other instance re the lack of hot water it can of course be a host of other things such as pcb's, diverter valves, some sorts of propellors etc etc. I wouldn't know, but I was trying to find out or at least garner some opinion as to what gives so that when I do call the 'engineers' I will have some information to hand that may just may help me..sort of forewarned and as I've had several different explanations by engineers that have attended the property as to what may be wrong but have failed to find the fault or even really identify it, then inconsistency is just that, at least here and where opinions given are usually taken from practical experience/knowledge and do not not cost me money....

I will also add that in the vast majority of instances the Gas Safe aka previously Corgi plumbers I have had attend my property(s) have been excellent and have completed their work with diligence and professionalism but of late and given
year on year I have a problem with a boiler and when it comes to maintenance then this current batch of alleged
'engineers' have cost me both money and my family a good amount of discomfort and these are supposed professionals with the GS tag strapped to their back.

wrong forum mate, you need winging bstards forum.

prehaps if you just posed a short concise question you'd get an answer, but I gave up halfway down the page

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally, sounds like the engineers have tried to check things out....

I'm sorry but the responses are completely wrong, one calling the OP a winging Bstard, I would ban for that, imagine you are that bloke, disabled and feel like you are getting ripped off, you explain it as best as possible and get abuse and then banned!! plumbing forum doing plumbers proud again!!

The worst thing is that most people have not even read the whole post!!

But hey ho, its fine as long as we listen to each other moaning about custards as long as custards aren't moaning about us!!

But hey ho, its fine as long as we listen to each other moaning about custards as long as custards aren't moaning about us!!

you seem to moan a fair bit, it was obvious that this character will never be happy, never listened to previous advice and hasnt read the forum rules, what else is there to say?

I'm sorry but the responses are completely wrong, one calling the OP a winging Bstard, I would ban for that, imagine you are that bloke, disabled and feel like you are getting ripped off, you explain it as best as possible and get abuse and then banned!! plumbing forum doing plumbers proud again!!

well i have jase and have dealt with the op directly, also via pm,so i would strongly recommend you keep your ill informed opinions to yourself

Don't know what the op expected coming on here and having a go at gas safe industry. Maybe he got what he deserved.
but let's not go down the insults route!

He has a point. Majority of engineers are just installers with no sense to look further than the end of their nose and too high and mighty to ask for help when they should. Hence, there's a section in the gas safe booklet dedicated to these spanners.

Is there a link? Or a clue as to title. Reading this thread in isolation as I have, I could not believe the replys and happily supported the comments Jase has made in defence of the Op. However based on the comments by other trusted forum representatives and regulars I assume there is more to the OpS story than presented in this thread. However regardless, without a link or indication of what has come before, this thread does not represent or put the forum or the professionals that frequent and comment here in a good light. Perhaps it should be deleted in its entirity as it appears to serve no positive purpose.

Is there a link? Or a clue as to title. Reading this thread in isolation as I have, I could not believe the replys and happily supported the comments Jase has made in defence of the Op. However based on the comments by other trusted forum representatives and regulars I assume there is more to the OpS story than presented in this thread. However regardless, without a link or indication of what has come before, this thread does not represent or put the forum or the professionals that frequent and comment here in a good light. Perhaps it should be deleted in its entirity as it appears to serve no positive purpose.
it is here http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/c...5847-vaillant-lack-hot-water-yet-another.html

I think the op is maybe a bit ott, as can't label engineers like that just because he called on a couple of ding dong pee brains to look at his boiler, and a 90 minute service is a long service but it doesn't mean Mr 30 mins never done his job just because he didn't run the tap,,,, But a forum filled with gas engineers is the wrong place to start a thread saying we're incompetent,

That jobs got nightmare written all over it!!! The poster will never ever be satisfied

Did he ever say if the hot water was fine at the taps? Surely if it was then his shower is buggered.... not that it really matters now :p

I disagree. I did read the original thread but even without that context the OP on this thread started out being pretty insulting and antagonistic. Putting "engineers" in inverted commas right from the outset is going to put peoples' backs up.

Stating that he distrusts every "so-called engineer" and wants to have the knowledge to challenge them and basically tell them their job is not going to win him any friends either. Have you never been to a job where the customer has googled the problem and insists on telling you what the is, disagreeing with your diagnosis, and stands over you nitpicking everything you do?

Well, that's what this OP was basically doing. Maybe some harsh words used but well deserved IMO.

Explaining as best as he could Jase? By starting of by questioning whether the title "engineer" is deserved, suggesting we are all incompetent rip-off merchants? Using derogatory language about the whole profession? Did you actually read the full post?

Actually I can think of many, many threads where we have supported customers who have been ripped off, advised on how to deal with cowboys, even one of the lads went round and fixed some previous shoddy work. Hardly a one-sided attitude on this forum.

It's true though, as much as we all call ourselves it, we are not engineers in the correct context.

The responses give the trade a bad name in my opinion and it's no wonder people try to DIY when we present ourselves as abnoctious unhelpful and arrogant. Believe it or not their are non qualified members of the public who are allowed an opinion as well.

Whether or not you agree is up to you but there is no need to be disrespectful.

Some people need to jump off their high horse and take a reality check. We're all guilty of a moan especially if we feel like it's someone else's fault. You should hear yourselves when you feel the need to belittle electricians for your own self gratification.

Last edited:
if we had sent a team of "engineers" to his house free of charge her wouldnt have been satisfied

It's true though, as much as we all call ourselves it, we are not engineers in the correct context.

The responses give the trade a bad name in my opinion and it's no wonder people try to DIY when we present ourselves as abnoctious unhelpful and arrogant. Believe it or not their are non qualified members of the public who are allowed an opinion as well.

Whether or not you agree is up to you but there is no need to be disrespectful.

Some people need to jump off their high horse and take a reality check. We're all guilty of a moan especially if we feel like it's someone else's fault. You should hear yourselves when you feel the need to belittle electricians for your own self gratification.

Spot on mate.

I think this forum needs to go back to the way it was, all it is now is people whinging and shooting down people for asking questions.

I understand that people can't mess with their own heating systems and such, but maybe instead of shooting them down and saying "read the rules you idiot" we could ask them questions like we used to, like "is your room stat on?" Or "what's your pressure like?"

obviously, if these questions where answered and the boiler or whatever still didn't work then we would draw a line and say get someone on, plus the work is more likely to go to a member if we have treated a new member with respect.

I dont post in open forums anymore because it's all nonsense anyway :(

and by answering people's questions we aren't taking work away from people, as most people on here moan about customers and call outs anyway :(

i think the whole place needs to be more relaxed and friendly to new users

Spot on mate.

I think this forum needs to go back to the way it was, all it is now is people whinging and shooting down people for asking questions.

I understand that people can't mess with their own heating systems and such, but maybe instead of shooting them down and saying "read the rules you idiot" we could ask them questions like we used to, like "is your room stat on?" Or "what's your pressure like?"

obviously, if these questions where answered and the boiler or whatever still didn't work then we would draw a line and say get someone on, plus the work is more likely to go to a member if we have treated a new member with respect.

I dont post in open forums anymore because it's all nonsense anyway :(

and by answering people's questions we aren't taking work away from people, as most people on here moan about customers and call outs anyway :(

i think the whole place needs to be more relaxed and friendly to new users

shuuuut up

Also, getting a tradesman in, is a daunting thought for some people. And shooting them down just breeds a formula where DIY fixes will take place :(

well i have jase and have dealt with the op directly, also via pm,so i would strongly recommend you keep your ill informed opinions to yourself
Your a moderator speaking to me like dirt! Thank you, true colours and all that! What u going to do? Ban me for telling the truth?

So, we tried the help the guy and got pretty much ignored, he then came back blasting the profession again.
Jase, gasman also tried to help him via pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Inconsistence from Gas Safe engineers on a boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock