Discuss I'm looking for a way into the plumbing trade in the Plumbing Courses and Training area at PlumbersForums.net

Would there be any kind of company where I can use my current skills (I'm a skilled welder) that would also allow me to finish my plumbing quals? That way I wouldn't be a burden and could still get the papers I want. Any ideas?
As you know, it's difficult (i.e. costly) to jump from one trade to another in mid-life. It may be better to think about making the transition incrementally.

You might, for example, be able to get work doing welding for a commercial plumbing outfit and from there try to get plumbing experience. Keep in mind that commercial work can be physically hard and if you're not as fit as a butcher's dog you may live to regret it.

Personally, I'd want to get into renewables rather than straightforward domestic plumbing. The latter is being de-skilled (plastic pipes push-fit joints, etc.) and is not tightly regulated so there is a race to the bottom on price that takes a new business quite a long time (building reputation, experience, word of mouth) to escape from.

A very good point about how an employer would have to pay for me rather than me earning them money. I currently work full time so would find it very difficult to be able to get on with a plumber for a couple of days a week as my missus works weekends and I look after my daughter.

Would there be any kind of company where I can use my current skills (I'm a skilled welder) that would also allow me to finish my plumbing quals? That way I wouldn't be a burden and could still get the papers I want. Any ideas?
Pipe fitter / pipe welder

In Italy, practically every time-served (or old) plumber can weld. It's a useful skill when working with steel pipe as it saves on time and expense of fittings, especially on larger diameters of pipe.

In the UK, low carbon steel tube is largely reserved for commercial projects.

If you are an experienced welder, you may find it easier to get a job for a firm that works in commercial and industrial settings than in domestic. Otherwise your welding skill will not really be an extra asset to the firm.

Reply to I'm looking for a way into the plumbing trade in the Plumbing Courses and Training area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am Aiden longster and I am looking for some plumbing work. I have just completed my level 2 diploma and either looking for a level 3...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I recently finished my level 2 NVQ plumbing diploma at college and I'm looking for someone to help me...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock