Search the forum,

Discuss I'm Commercial Now :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done guess the beers and crisps are on you this weekend

How was it ?

Indeed. I'm running a tab in the Arms.

I didnt' mind it that much to be honest, but then I find maths easy enough. If maths isn't your strong point it's a bit harder. The appliance assessments are pretty similar to the domestic ones, just bigger burners etc. All of the safety devices in the appliances are the same still.

Pipe sizing and purging are a bit more of a headache but nothing insurmountable to be honest. Basically calculating precise volumes to purge becomes much more important and all purging is done through hoses to atmosphere via a purge stack. In some cases you will be using Nitrogen to purge sections of pipe and you don't want to get the volumes or purge flow rates wrong.

If you don't like exams then there's a few more and they are a bit harder than the domestic ones.

Now does anyone know somewhere in the Midlands where I can do Commercial Catering Modules 1-5? The few gas engineers round my way that have it are charging £400+Vat to service chip shop Ranges..

Well done Croft....good to see you putting the effort to better your company hope this venture is a success for you...regards Turnpin...oh mines a moretti lol:)

Where did you do your commercial mate. I am thinking of doing it and also in the Midlands.
Have you tried TC training in tile cross or midland gas?

Last edited:
i wouldnt do servicing of catering

messy and not paid well jobs, find they pay more to install and commission them

and i always use nitrogen, even if no welding is required

get a few jobs and years under your belt you will be fine :)

i wouldnt do servicing of catering

messy and not paid well jobs, find they pay more to install and commission them

and i always use nitrogen, even if no welding is required

get a few jobs and years under your belt you will be fine :)

TBH I don't really have a clue yet how to price commercial work. My first job is to go and look at an LPG direct air heater at the paint shop over the road from our unit. I said £100+VAT for a one hour service of the unit and extra costs if anything else needs replacing/doing or if it goes over the hour. He seemed happy enough with that.

£400+VAT to service a couple of chip fryers seems good money to me though? Will help me get some commercial customers initially to pay for the course costs at least. Appreciate it's dirty work but that's what an apprentice is for, right?

TBH I don't really have a clue yet how to price commercial work. My first job is to go and look at an LPG direct air heater at the paint shop over the road from our unit. I said £100+VAT for a one hour service of the unit and extra costs if anything else needs replacing/doing or if it goes over the hour. He seemed happy enough with that.

£400+VAT to service a couple of chip fryers seems good money to me though? Will help me get some commercial customers initially to pay for the course costs at least. Appreciate it's dirty work but that's what an apprentice is for, right?

if its in a paint shop watch the supply air, wont be clean ;)

and normally fryers take about 1/2 - 3/4 of a day

half the time you have to wait for them to cool

but dont forget about other things they need interlocks, ventilation etc so you could spend a day doing one if your unlucky (dont forget they want to be open for lunch as well so you have to be in there either over night 1am onwards or early like 5am +)

and too right just tell him to clear a blocked loo with no gloves :D

How much did it cost in total?
And how many day revising, training and exams?

when i did my first was about 1200 including vat and a week (finished in 4.5 days)

thats from non commercial to commercial stock, but having already done/ been around commercial lads

I had a quick look at it (looking only) through the viewglass on the burner chamber and the flame looked long and yellow. I'm suspecting a clogged up burner or filter tbh. Not had it serviced for 8 years apparently so have warned him to expect some extra costs on this one..

I reckon 5am start for fryers is the way ahead. I'm going to hit the small shops first and with an early start can at least make sure they are cold.

To be fair it does sound like **** work but it's a foot in the door for a few places, especially if no one wants to do them. Missus wants to see a quick return on these courses :)

I think I might be keeping in touch with you as my commercial experience grows if that's ok - you sound like you've been doing it for years :)

Where did you do your commercial mate. I am thinking of doing it and also in the Midlands.

How much did it cost in total?
And how many day revising, training and exams?

4.5 days, cost me £1200+VAT (which I claimed back). To be honest it's all multiple choice so if the training is good you shouldn't need too much revision time.

Good for you bud did mine 3 times not so hard when your younger , now only do smaller stuff the body cant take any more punishment ha ha best of luck to you for the future mate cheers kop

Just found somewhere in Sheffield that does all 5 categories of commercial catering.

I've used Gasgain in Mansfield. The trainer there (Andy) helped me complete my domestic portfolio and he is incredibly knowledgeable.

Gasgain LTD

If you go there, please tell Pat/Linda that I've recommended them to you. He might do me some cheaper courses for the ones coming up :)

I had a quick look at it (looking only) through the viewglass on the burner chamber and the flame looked long and yellow. I'm suspecting a clogged up burner or filter tbh. Not had it serviced for 8 years apparently so have warned him to expect some extra costs on this one..

I reckon 5am start for fryers is the way ahead. I'm going to hit the small shops first and with an early start can at least make sure they are cold.

To be fair it does sound like **** work but it's a foot in the door for a few places, especially if no one wants to do them. Missus wants to see a quick return on these courses :)

I think I might be keeping in touch with you as my commercial experience grows if that's ok - you sound like you've been doing it for years :)

yes and i know this may sound weird / offensive but stick to the english classic fish and chip shops for now

air heaters they like having cracked heat exchangers, but take your time and go through the mis just like a massive gas fire :D

your more than welcome im normally always about somwhere :eek:

you got any commercial kit ? fga, digi test pressure etc

yes and i know this may sound weird / offensive but stick to the english classic fish and chip shops for now

air heaters they like having cracked heat exchangers, but take your time and go through the mis just like a massive gas fire :D

your more than welcome im normally always about somwhere :eek:

you got any commercial kit ? fga, digi test pressure etc

The Kane 455 does all the bits you need for commercial FGA etc and doubles up as a digital manometer of course. I need to get an ambient air CO2 analyser and I think I'm good to go for servicing. Will get the purging kit etc as and when jobs come up.

The Kane 455 does all the bits you need for commercial FGA etc and doubles up as a digital manometer of course. I need to get an ambient air CO2 analyser and I think I'm good to go for servicing. Will get the purging kit etc as and when jobs come up.

just be careful on your max ppm 455 is only rated to i think 1000ppm and some commercial boilers can spike that high when starting so wait a couple of mins before popping your probe in

but wont do your strength tests on new pipework, as doesnt it have a 50mbar limit

if it does have a look at the anton 140

and you can rent purging kit easily and cheap think its around the 100 for a weeks hire

Yeah the instructor said that too. To be fair they are about £1k to buy aren't they? Don't think I can justify that. He's proper Northern to be fair and has built his own purging kit from a U6 meter with steel pipe on the inlets and outlets and the flare off screwed into the pipe lol. It all goes on a tripod and works a treat.

He's quite a funny bloke.

I will probably buy a water gauge for strength testing to start with, need to make some cash before I buy anything more than the basics now!

Yeah the instructor said that too. To be fair they are about £1k to buy aren't they? Don't think I can justify that. He's proper Northern to be fair and has built his own purging kit from a U6 meter with steel pipe on the inlets and outlets and the flare off screwed into the pipe lol. It all goes on a tripod and works a treat.

He's quite a funny bloke.

I will probably buy a water gauge for strength testing to start with, need to make some cash before I buy anything more than the basics now!

yes think ive seen them around 1100 and same as me then fyi speaker tripod works very well :)

and you will be fine unless your installing new pipework (but then add the cost onto the job)

Well done Croft, ive finally booked myself on for domestic course starting in july.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I'm Commercial Now :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock