Discuss Illegal installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Cylinder 2.jpgIMG00308-20101208-2232.jpgSo here I am again. Illegal installation of boiler and indirect cylinder. Boiler signed off by Gas Safe mate of illegal installer, and yes the system was fired up prior to the signing off.

I've had two engineers look at the system, but both don't agree on their findings.

On the cylinder (photo attached), I noticed that a Honeywell two port valve ( I think it's called) was not fitted. Engineer one says it is is a high temperature cut out and should be fitted and engineer two says it's not necessary and that I have two motorized valves at the boiler which will suffice.

It's hard for me the householder. I feel like a pillock, I've been naive and I'm totally out of my depth. I've employed people in good faith and now I've learnt my lesson to believe nothing unless I see ID in advance. So I've attached two photos of the cylinder, one showing the unused valve.

The other question is with the discharge pipe that comes off the cylinder. It points out of the wall on the first floor and is then bent back to point towards the wall. Engineer one says it's ok, engineer two says it should ideally be run down to the ground, but that it's a grey area.

This is frightening for me - all I want is to get the system safe and then find out how I can stop these guys doing anything like this again.

Will do. Is the cylinder a Gas Safe issue? What do you think about this two port valve?

View attachment 1539View attachment 1538So here I am again. Illegal installation of boiler and indirect cylinder. Boiler signed off by Gas Safe mate of illegal installer, and yes the system was fired up prior to the signing off.

I've had two engineers look at the system, but both don't agree on their findings.

On the cylinder (photo attached), I noticed that a Honeywell two port valve ( I think it's called) was not fitted. Engineer one says it is is a high temperature cut out and should be fitted and engineer two says it's not necessary and that I have two motorized valves at the boiler which will suffice.

It's hard for me the householder. I feel like a pillock, I've been naive and I'm totally out of my depth. I've employed people in good faith and now I've learnt my lesson to believe nothing unless I see ID in advance. So I've attached two photos of the cylinder, one showing the unused valve.

The other question is with the discharge pipe that comes off the cylinder. It points out of the wall on the first floor and is then bent back to point towards the wall. Engineer one says it's ok, engineer two says it should ideally be run down to the ground, but that it's a grey area.

This is frightening for me - all I want is to get the system safe and then find out how I can stop these guys doing anything like this again.

he is right imo. you dont need to double up the two port valves but it must be linked to the safety cut out so depends how its been wired. if its a three port y plan then yes it needs secondry two port

Thanks Fuzzy. This is the problem - out of my depth. I don't know what an S or Y plan system is. Tough as I'm not in this field and have two experts who disagree, so it's hard for me a layman to judge. This used to be a gravity system - the installer kept the old motorized valves and installed Gloworm system boiler and unvented indirect cylinder.

If it has been signed off by the gas safe guy he has signed to say it complies with the regs.
As to the 2 port valve its as Fuzzy says . Do you have 2 motorized valves at your boiler or 1 with 3 pipes connected.
I would still phone gas safe !

I have 2 motorized valves Toddy. They were originally there from the old boiler from when I had a gravity system. I'm suspicious as Mr Gas Safe is a mate of the illegal who installed it. Since then two qualified guys disagree - one says I still need the 2 port valve by the cylinder as a back up safety device and the other says rubbish.

Also not sure if Gas Safe covers the cylinder - and I bet installer didn't have the ticket for the cylinder either.

Unvented Cylinder installs need to adhere to G3 Building Regs and must be installed by someone with the relevant ticket. Think you can get your local building control officer to check the cylinder install.
Someone else on here will be able to confirm

I thought as much. The thing is I can go and complain. Unless Gas Safe / local authority / Trading Standards have teeth and do something I'll just be left with a flawed installation and no action against the rogue trader. For now I'm trying to gauge whether I have a problem and I've got two qualified tradesmen disagreeing so not sure whether I do need the 2 port valve by the cylinder in adddion to the valves by the boiler.

i am not a plumber, but it sounds like you dont really have a problem. one guy says all ok, the other says not needed. it has been signed off, so you have some come back. not sure what your problem is.

as for the overflow. You direct the over flow in towards the building so hot water doesnt spurt out on to someones head. Or you can run a length down to the ground to discharge at foot level. both are ok, and not really worth worrying about. Our boiler overflow points inwards to the wall. no probs here.

Thanks but one guy says all ok and one guy says illegal and dangerous. Both qualified and ones right and ones wrong.

i would be inclined to get a third opinion and go with the majority.

i would proberly read up on how it should be fitted check it against yours then go from there

As marsaday says he is not a plumber. If it is the tpr valve it is highly unlikely that turning it against the wall will be acceptable, it is an unvented cylinder.
The 2 port valve will only be OK if its wired to the thermal cut out.
The bottom line is you are not happy with what a Gas Safe installer has done , you complain to gas safe !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Illegal installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock