Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal amount of solder in a joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
If you are like me and find it hard to grasp how much solder is enough watch this video which also made me realise I have been mispronouncing the very word all these years!

[video=youtube;kTak6vAaSjY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTak6vAaSjY[/video]

Ive never managed to do a joint with soda.

But have done quite a few joints with soda and gin [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
At local A&E unit, Iodine gets various pronunciations but Hunt is always pronounced with a "C".

Well the Kermit voice over artist's lamp is too hot and he sodders from the top is all i've learnt.

I was always taught to sodder from the bottom of a fitting so you can see the capillary action has worked correctly.

Did anyone else get taught that ?

Well the Kermit voice over artist's lamp is too hot and he sodders from the top is all i've learnt.

I was always taught to sodder from the bottom of a fitting so you can see the capillary action has worked correctly.

Did anyone else get taught that ?

As an apprentice my job was to wire wool the **** out of every single soldered fitting, never got as far as soddering anything myself though

Last edited:
Yeh ive heard from the bottom too.
Tbh if the heat is right it hardly matters as a lot of the time we all solder from whatever angle we can get in from lol

Tbh if the heat is right it hardly matters as a lot of the time we all solder from whatever angle we can get in from lol

So true but if I were demonstrating it on a video and in a vice I might add that bit in for the sake of it.

I'll add solder on the opposite side to which I apply the heat as most situations allow. Where you can't do that you just know by experience that you've done it right anyway.

I am often amazed at the song and dance some apprentices (and a few plumbers) make when soldering small bore fittings. They wave the torch around, move around the fitting changing their stance, adding too much solder then going back at it with the blowlamp and adding a bit more solder then it goes black. I forgot to say they've put so much flux on the pipe and in the fitting (don't flux the fittings!) that there is flux pouring out and dripping on the floor followed by blobs of solder.

I have to unteach and retrain them so often. It's possible to teach an 8 year old child to solder properly so I don't understand why people make such a meal of it.

Lastly my pet hate is watching people add more solder when they are using a Yorkshire fitting. If you are doing that then why even bother spending more money on Yorkshires when you are endfeeding anyway? It makes no sense.

Silly chunt lol...

Wow what a smelly Chunt you have...

Could have lots of fun with that

I'll add solder on the opposite side to which I apply the heat as most situations allow. Where you can't do that you just know by experience that you've done it right anyway.

I am often amazed at the song and dance some apprentices (and a few plumbers) make when soldering small bore fittings. They wave the torch around, move around the fitting changing their stance, adding too much solder then going back at it with the blowlamp and adding a bit more solder then it goes black. I forgot to say they've put so much flux on the pipe and in the fitting (don't flux the fittings!) that there is flux pouring out and dripping on the floor followed by blobs of solder.

I have to unteach and retrain them so often. It's possible to teach an 8 year old child to solder properly so I don't understand why people make such a meal of it.

Lastly my pet hate is watching people add more solder when they are using a Yorkshire fitting. If you are doing that then why even bother spending more money on Yorkshires when you are endfeeding anyway? It makes no sense.

+1 heat from Front add solder from the back til you see it on the front

Had quite a few yorkshire fittings where internal solder had fallen off! Unless you methodically check its there rather be safe than sorry

Had quite a few yorkshire fittings where internal solder had fallen off! Unless you methodically check its there rather be safe than sorry

Why wouldn't you just spend approximately half the price on fittings and just buy end feed? If you do a lot of copper work the money adds up over a year.

Why wouldn't you just spend approximately half the price on fittings and just buy end feed? If you do a lot of copper work the money adds up over a year.
I never bought them in my life ones I used customers bought

That's understandable then. If you are provided with them, fair enough.

i read somewhere (think it was copper guild?)
15mm pipe needs 15mm 3.5 solder wire. 22mm = 22mm!

i lay my solder across the joint until it melts and runs and thats it !!

I've tried various ways to try and perfect my soldering.. and so far, the best method I now use is to heat the fitting and solder from back of joint til I see it come round the front. If it's a vertical fitting, I usually feed from top at the back, keep heating the fitting til I see it run a ring at the bottom of the fitting.

If it's under the floor I usually solder the **** out of all fittings lol

I can never understand why a lot of plumbers heat the fittings with powerful flame until they go black? Only tarnishes the copper preventing solder joining and burns the flux away and runs solder out of the fittings.
The fitting will have soldered fully with just a slight extra heat just beyond when you see solder melting and flowing around the joint. I used butane gas for years on 15mm up to 28mm soldering and it normally was plenty of power, so propane powered Surefire 2 torches many now use, including myself, should be more than enough to overheat an average joint if not careful.
I put my hands up to admit my method of soldering is to flux the pipe but also very slight smear on inside of fitting. I also slightly overheat the fitting (as definitely want to avoid under heating it) and I add solder to any Yorkshire fittings as it confirms the whole joint is soldered and won't do any harm, especially if some of the fittings solder has run out while heating. I prefer end feed for most jobs though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal amount of solder in a joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock