Search the forum,

Discuss I know the answer is no. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
But I will ask anyway.

If a basin waste pipe is too high for any conventional trap outlet when fitted to a new basin is there anything you can do to sort it other than drill a new waste or raise the basin on some mdf?

Within reason ,you could make your own trap out of waste fittings if you have room,or try a telescopic trap maybe

imho

Telescopic trap allows you to go lower to a waste pipe, not higher unfortunately.
Thought about making my own...but would it drain if the waste pipe passing through the wall is higher than the basin outlet?
I suppose it all depends on how high...

if you use a p trap,you can buy waste extenders from toolstation so you can take the trap apart and fit one of these which will extend to the hight you need(they do different lenghts) so it makes the trap a deeper seal

You could engineer something using welded 90 degree bends and end up with a deeper water trap. (I assume waste outlet is beneath sink level?

Or maybe one of these. Universal Compression Flexible Waste Pipe 40mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Hmm!

If the seal is too high, the water will not drain enough and leave a pool of water in the basin.

But if the pipe is only a couple of mm high for the trap, I have found that not all traps give the same oulet height.

Simply put, some traps discharge higher than others, it may be worth looking around.

Some tubular washbasin traps have a higher outlet than a bottle trap.

I see this all the time on jobs - 'bob the builder' with little plumbing knowlage puts the damn hole to high and thinks 'what the heck'.

Can you get water to flow up hill - not unless you are Harry Potter . . .

In which case do the job properly:

- remove old pipwork
- drill new hole
- make good the wall

There is no other way of doing it, unless you want a basin that blocks and overflows all the time.

Can you saw a bit off the basin waste? If not you either need to raise the basin or lower the waste no easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I know the answer is no. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock