Discuss How to run boiler when doing a power flush in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32524

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have done a power flush and the mis said to run boiler at around 50degrees. However, when i turned it on it banged and rattled and then shut down. Is this due to flow or what? Any ideas would help.

If you've desludged the radiators first, having bypassed the boiler to avoid pumping sludge through it, have you opened up the bypass to allow water back into the boiler?

did not isolate anything. Just took a rad off wall attached machine to flow and retn. Disconnected boiler pump electrically. Turned on powerflush then boiler.

why is boiler banging and cutting out?

Did a power flush. the mis say run boiler . however it just banged and rattled then shut down. I put machine on flow and retn, powered up then put boiler on and it did as above. Any ideas?

possibly pump and boiler full of sludge,
best to isolate boiler and attach flushing pump to flow and return pipes, remove pump and put in link, flush rads and system, then if required and depending on boiler flush boiler on its own
imho
is your pump running ?

If you did sludge up the boiler there is a slight chance you might be able to clear it by reversing the flushing flow and dumping the stuff it as it comes out instead of letting it run around the system and block up the boiler from the other direction? First I would turn off all the rads (assuming it is not a one pipe system) - so that you avoid picking up any sludge remaining in them - and give the boiler a good clean out. THEN I WOULD ISOLATE THE BOILER AND FLUSH THE RADS ON THEIR OWN, IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, AGAIN!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about running the boiler whilst its connected to the machine? it might be that your running it in the wrong direction, or theres a valve youve forgotten to reopen fully. Whats the pressure gauge reading?

Did the boiler work previously?

were you getting full flow through both valves, or was one stuck shut?

I had this before, the thing I did was.

1. make sure you have flow by dumping some water, if water is coming out of dump valve then full flow is achieved.
2. keep trying the boiler (this is at your own risk as can damage boiler)
3. between each attempt flush for 10-15 minutes
4. try both directions, with boiler switched off
5. this should cure after 2-3 hours.

I had one that when I turned boiler on, starting smoking and making a horrenduos noise, scared the life out of me.

Most importantly connect to pumps rather then radiator, if this is heavily sludged system connecting to 22mm will be better then 15mm/ 10/8mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to run boiler when doing a power flush in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock