Search the forum,

Discuss How to remove shower diveter valve in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

This is driving me bonkers!

I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early Florentine model circa 2006 though not 100% sure.

I've removed the faceplate, unscrewed the chrome collar - and now want to extract the diverter cartridge - but I simply cannot see how it comes out. There's a threaded collar with two flattened sides but for the life of me, this doesn't seem to unscrew - can't tell if it's siezed or whether it's actually all part of the main mixer unit.

Any pointers would be really helpful

Attachments

• shower3.jpg
    shower3.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 29
  • shower2.jpg
    shower2.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 25
  • shower1.jpg
    shower1.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 27
It looks to me as if the flats and the threaded collar are all part of the body.
My guess is that the nylon adjustable 'stop' can be levered out and there will be a nut behind.
But that is a guess 🤔

It looks to me as if the flats and the threaded collar are all part of the body.
My guess is that the nylon adjustable 'stop' can be levered out and there will be a nut behind.
But that is a guess 🤔
Good call... I'll try that. I did think that perhaps the flats and thread were part of the main body - but why add flat sides if it could never be removed? It's just tempting someone to take a large spanner to it!

I'll try and lever out the nylon rim and see whether is shows anything.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn’t try levering it out, will probably break something.
The flats are a pretty good indication that something will unscrew- get a pair of 24” stilsons on it and it’ll move no problem.

Thinking about it, there wouldn't be room to put a diverter cartridge through the hole in the centre with the nylon part. I'm sure Ben-gee must be right!
Stupid suggestion of mine 🫢!

The threaded part with flats must be removable, it would be impossible to cut the thread so close to the valve body.
You normally see a small gap with material cut away so the thread can be cut off clean.

It's most likely a retainer ring for a plastic valve / cartridge body and would have a smaller thread into the valve body.

Run hot water through the mixer first to warm it up, might just ease the pressure off the thread.

The threaded part with flats must be removable, it would be impossible to cut the thread so close to the valve body.
You normally see a small gap with material cut away so the thread can be cut off clean.

It's most likely a retainer ring for a plastic valve / cartridge body and would have a smaller thread into the valve body.

Run hot water through the mixer first to warm it up, might just ease the pressure off the thread.
I've cut out a panel around the whole unit now, partly so I can get a better angle on the flat sides for a stilson but also because I've just cannot source the correct cartridge and might need to replace the whole unit.

I'll update with news later on. Thanks for all the suggestions

Attachments

• shower4.jpg
    shower4.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 21
I've cut out a panel around the whole unit now, partly so I can get a better angle on the flat sides for a stilson but also because I've just cannot source the correct cartridge and might need to replace the whole unit.

I'll update with news later on. Thanks for all the suggestions
Thought I should update for anyone else who may be looking for this kind of shower mixer replacement.

I completely removed the old unit - and still couldn't get the diverter valve out - it is completely siezed up. I replaced the unit with a Cruze Twin Round Concealed Shower Valve with Diverter - Chrome (CRSVC01D) and used HEP20 fittings with 15mm copper pipe to complete the install. The Hand shower unit (also Cruze) was the only part which used a flexible connector.

Job almost done - just need to reinstate the panel and tile it up.

Thanks for all the suggestions - sometimes it's better to cut your losses and start afresh.

Attachments

• New Shower.jpg
    New Shower.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 21
Thought I should update for anyone else who may be looking for this kind of shower mixer replacement.

I completely removed the old unit - and still couldn't get the diverter valve out - it is completely siezed up. I replaced the unit with a Cruze Twin Round Concealed Shower Valve with Diverter - Chrome (CRSVC01D) and used HEP20 fittings with 15mm copper pipe to complete the install. The Hand shower unit (also Cruze) was the only part which used a flexible connector.

Job almost done - just need to reinstate the panel and tile it up.

Thanks for all the suggestions - sometimes it's better to cut your losses and start afresh.
Final update - shower panel refitted and managed to match the tiles at least. This is an 18 year old shower after all.

At least it no longer leaks!

Attachments

• Finished Shower.jpg
    Finished Shower.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Tiling.jpg
    Tiling.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Fitted Panel.jpg
    Fitted Panel.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 11

Reply to How to remove shower diveter valve in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock