Search the forum,

Discuss How to pack a radiator gland nut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I went out to a job today (leaking rad gland ) I took the lockshield head off.
Instead of the usual gland nut that threads into the lockshield, this was a nut that threaded over the lockshield (similar to a standard 15mm isolation valve nut). I packed it as I would normally and put the nut over and nipped up. I explained to the customer this is the first time I have come across this and if there are any probs call me back and I'll replace it.
Have I done it right or will it fail. Thanks Antony

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I went out to a job today (leaking rad gland ) I took the lockshield head off.
Instead of the usual gland nut that threads into the lockshield, this was a nut that threaded over the lockshield (similar to a standard 15mm isolation valve nut). I packed it as I would normally and put the nut over and nipped up. I explained to the customer this is the first time I have come across this and if there are any probs call me back and I'll replace it.
Have I done it right or will it fail. Thanks Antony

I would have thought if it was not leaking when you turned it back on then it should stay okay? Just as longs they don't keep touching it!

Hi. That external nut would have to have a ring part of it to push against packing properly, or you have come across the type that have a seperate brass ring part below the nut. You tap that brass ring up & off using a flat screwdriver & hammer, then repack with ptfe tape & refit brass ring & nut. Peglers Terrier rad valves have this design

Thanks for the replys. Now you mention it, there was a kind of collar around the spindle with a notch around it. I did try and lift it with a flat head but didn't want to force it and end up getting an early shower. Maybe if I get called back I'll try and tap it out as you said. Thanks

Thanks for the replys. Now you mention it, there was a kind of collar around the spindle with a notch around it. I did try and lift it with a flat head but didn't want to force it and end up getting an early shower. Maybe if I get called back I'll try and tap it out as you said. Thanks

That's it! The Peglers Terrier valves have a brass collar which has a groove around it. Just tap it upwards as I mentioned, with the end of screwdriver in the groove.

Probably you won't get a call back for a long while if you simply tightened the packing nut enough to make turning the spindle feel fairly tight. That's nearly all they need until the customer has again turned the head of the valve on & off a thousand times. :smile:
If I notice the glanded valves very loose to turn, I at the very least remove the head & give the packing nut a slight tightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to pack a radiator gland nut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock