Discuss How long is too long a piece of pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HyFy

I've been checking in a void below our house to see how good the insulation on the pipework is prior to leaving the house for an extended period in January and February, when I saw a very long straight run of 15mm copper pipe feeding an outside tape at one end of the house. I've not measured it but it has to be 7 or 8 metres long. It is fixed at both ends by soldered elbows on the outsides of brick/blockwork at both ends. there is one compression fitting halfway along. What concerns me is what may happen in low temperatures. The pipework could contract quite considerably and no doubt pull the compression fitting apart. I had thought to put a contraction loop in the run in the form of a push-fit flexible pipe in a very slight "S".

I can drain half of the pipe quite easily but that won't remove the contraction problem and if anything might worsen it.

What are the professional thoughts?

HyFy

is the pipework clipped along its length? Is it lagged? how long has it been there?

if its been in a while it will probably be ok, if you leave the water off then if anything happens you wont get any damage or a large bill :)

welcome to the forum.

That is quite a long run of pipe, and compression fittings do pull apart quite easily when the pipes freeze.

As said, as long as you can drain it, and leave one end open, I don't think you'll have any issues.

You'll have about 1/8" movement on that from freezing to 25c. I wouldn't worry about it

Lag it. And drain it

Thanks for the information. I will do as you all suggest. It is lagged and clipped along it's entire length. It's been there for, I guess, a couple of years but the previous owner did not leave the house in the winter with low level heating as I intend to do.

I would drain everything down but I don't want the hassle of refilling etc immediately I get back from an 800 mile drive!! A neighbour will monitor things.

HyFy

How low is low level heating ?

I would imagine your house insurance would require at least 18 degrees?, if the house is left unoccupied in the winter.

Fit a sure stop. Excellent peice of kit and can just be turned off.

It won't drain but it won't leak either

Thanks Kev

I will ask the insurers. If they want 18 deg C on an unoccupied house for two months, I will drain down. I can't even guarantee 18 degs whilst we are here!!!

Thanks

HyFy

Thanks for the advice about the Sure Stop. It seems a good piece of kit but the existing stopcock seems to be alright.

Thanks

HyFy

Please do not forget central heating is not only for comfort.

Buildings also like a bit of heat to combat damp ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How long is too long a piece of pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock