Discuss How do you take apart this old basin tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tap won’t shut off completely so I want to get access to the washer. I can’t figure out how to undo the parts, can someone with the knowledge tell me?
I saw a supatap on a recent post here, but this tap is probably 50 years old.
There is what looks like a nut a at the top of the handle so it would seem obvious that you hold the body of the tap the best you can, then turn the nut.
I’ve tried that and it doesn’t want to budge. On closer inspection (with a magnifying glass!) I can’t see a joint between the”nut” and the rest of the tap, in fact 85DD9CAC-EBF4-425B-A28B-4A60900F9D45.jpeg the “nut” seems to be part of the moulding, but maybe my eyes are deceiving me.
Should I just use more force? Is this likely to break the little flanges on the side of the tap body...they don’t look very strong.
Cheers

45C7EF01-BC48-4C52-A75A-6D83DB817826.jpeg Great advice, heat and force did it!
The washer is brittle and it’s edges worn and the edge of the copper plunger it is housed in has broken. I see online there are three types of supatap washer/plunger assembly, types A, B, and D.
Any idea what mine is? Washer diameter looks half inch, length of the stem of the plunger it sits in is 3/8”.
Should I replace the o ring at the same time, too, and is this a particular type?
Would any chain of national plumbing suppliers likely have these items? I see Screwfix don’t do them.
Thanks

63F12328-B409-4A61-9DA6-3CB8B6E11AA0.jpeg

40125B0B-3F12-44E3-9AA2-B2198936C9E1.jpeg

Some tap washer kit boxes come with a few supatap washers.

Yeah, the Screwfix kit isn't very good. I think the washer is on what should be a loose jumper within that assembly as the Holdtite kit as sold by BES and Toolstation, I think, comes with Supatap washers on small brass jumpers ('plungers') which presumably fit into that groovy thing you have. The blurb on my box would lead me to believe what you have is a D type.

Not had the privilege of servicing a Supatap myself. Feeling a bit envious.

The small ones in the kits look like what will do 1/2”’supataps I think.
I know the washer part is about same size as an ordinary high pressure washer same as 1/2” ball valves have

So what was the measured diameter of the type A Supatap black rubber bit, out of interest?

Lol! I was thinking same! :p

The diameter is 1/2 inch, including the rim of the jumper it sits in. The stem is 3/8.

The Type D jumper had the same stem length but slightly larger diameter washer...I don’t have one to measure but it was more like 5/8 inch.

I spoke to soon and the tap still leaks, but not nearly as much so I guess the O ring has degraded, too. A) I’m not quite sure how to get it out, I felt up the tap with my finger and couldn’t feel any ring there and B) do O rings come in standard sizes...so with this tap having a 1/2 inch washer is it a fair bet it has a 1/2 “ O ring?

When tap not in use. It is dripping less slowly now, almost imperceptible. After I changed the washer it was fine, but next day it was dripping every 5 seconds or so. Tried shutting the tap off tighter but it made no difference hence I asked about o rings. Now as I say, virtually no dripping just enough to wet the sink overnight. Maybe it takes a while for the jumper and washer to bed in?

It's a loose jumper and so will present the washer in a different alinement relative to the valve seat every time, so bedding in not relevant. Is the valve seat pitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you take apart this old basin tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back