Search the forum,

Discuss How do I turn this radiator valve off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody.
I have to remove a column radiator to paint behind it. I know I have to turn it off at both ends. One end has a trv so that's easy but the other end has a strange valve that I have not seen before.I took photos with the chrome cover on and off. Can anybody tell me how to turn this off? Do I need a special tool?
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG

Thanks, sounds obvious now but I've never seen a socket that big.

Hello Richard88fox,

Am I seeing Limescale all around the inside of the Lockshield valve ?

If so it will need replacing if it leaks when you turn it Off and back On again.

Member Riley is correct about the Allen key - but also a Screwdriver with a blade that is a good fit will turn off the Valve.

However - using an Allen key it would be easier to note the amount of turns that the Radiator valve is open in order to set the valve again when turning it back on.

When You are turning off the Lockshield valve in
order to try and keep the Heating system / Flow through the Radiator `balanced` You should try and note the number of turns of the Screwdriver or Allen key so that you can open the valve up again to the same extent.

This means that the water Flow through the Radiator should be about the same as it was before You isolated the Lockshield valve to remove the Radiator.

Also - Please don`t just rely on turning off the Thermostatic Radiator Valve [TRV] when removing the Radiator - they should not be relied on to provide a `positive shut off`.

Most TRV`s have a `Frost setting` / Frost opening facility and although they would seem to be `Off` the valve can open if the Room temperature drops low enough - with obvious consequences.

Unless You are just taking the Radiator off - Decorating behind it and refitting it almost immediately you should cap off the TRV valve outlet.

Sometimes Lockshield valves also don`t shut off completely so you should buy 2 Caps [inexpensive fittings] plus a roll of PTFE tape so that you can cap off both valves if necessary when you remove the Radiator.

Chris

Last edited:
Project is on hold for the moment. My wife (who is doing the painting) has injured her foot so I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.

Project is on hold for the moment. My wife (who is doing the painting) has injured her foot so I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.

Hello again,

Thanks for the update - We look forward to reading in the future that everything went well / without any problems.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I turn this radiator valve off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock