Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Hot water running out quickly in all taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening,

I would be very grateful if anyone can advise me on a problem that I am having in a property I rent out.

Tenants have reported to me that water in the shower is running stone cold when showering. For example, yesterday a tenant found that after 15 minutes of hot water the shower went cold and that nobody had used hot water for 1 hour before that. Hence if two tenants in a row take a shower there are issues with the water running cold. Of note the shower is plenty hot enough at the beginning.

The boiler is a Suprima 30-80 which is 15 years old was serviced two months ago. A plumber has twice visited since the problem arose (unfortunately I was not present) but the feedback is that he could find no fault with the boiler. How in depth his diagnosis was I do not know. The shower is not electric, and once water runs out in the shower, water is then running cold in all taps.

The advice given by the plumber was that residents need to stagger their time in the bathroom. However, this issue has not occurred from August to December where there has always been ample water on demand. There settings for the thermostat temperature have not been changed, and the water heater is set to always on. I appreciate that 15 minutes is a long time in the shower but another tenant uses it for only 5 minutes. I have no reason to doubt that the use is normal and the boiler is the original one installed for the property.

In summary, I am in somewhat of a dilemma, for having called out the plumber twice at some expense, I am left with this problem. In particular I would like to know if my expectations in regard to the use of this boiler is reasonable or if I should re-emphasise the advice that it can only produce so much hot water for use in any given time, that people should have shorted showers and leave time in between. However, if what I have described might indicate that the boiler's performance has deteriorated, how should I proceed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

If it has one, the water will warm up in the cylinder at the top half mainly and if the stat is set high on the immersion it will or could keep the boiler from firing

A normal 36 inch cylinder will hold 135litres of stored hot water. A 15 minute shower using 9 litres a minute will deplete all hot water. If the shower is pumped, it will half that time.

I would be checking the settings on the programmer for hot water times and if the zone valve has an intermittent fault.
I would also try a different engineer who isn't just used to combi boilers! A lot of engineers under 35 have never fitted a gravity system like yours.

Many thanks for the replies. I think that this is most likely a case of them not managing the available water. I'm also thinking that an electric shower could be a good solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water running out quickly in all taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock