Discuss Hot Water Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smiler

Hello chaps (& chapesses).

I have posted this on another forum (not plumbing) so would be grateful for some opinions here.

lOM5P7Y1.jpg

xkvKJ4se.jpg

SRsTMK1J.jpg

The 1st pic shows a valved draw-off for a pumped shower (15mm).

The 2nd pic shows the main hot feed from the HWC & vent (22mm).

The 3rd pic shows the connections for the hot water heating coil.

I need to take the tank out to make some repairs to the airing cupboard & I'd like to re-use it.

My questions are:

Will I (or a plumber) be able to remove & replace the output hot water pipework & be able to get a satisfactory seal? I intend to drop 22mm barrier pipe from the roof space & make a coupling to copper. Can flexible connections be used?

Does the 15mm connection to the pumped shower need a valve at the tank? The existing one is buggered (doesn't fully close) so I've fitted the level ball valve seen in pic 2.

Same question as 1. for the connections for the hot water heating coil connections (pic 3).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did that work?

I could see them on the original post though, so I don't know what went wrong.

1. No flexi's. Why do you want to replace existing pipework?
2. Yes you can do away with it but if its not leaking why do you want to?
3. No plastic or flexi's

1. No flexi's. Why do you want to replace existing pipework?
2. Yes you can do away with it but if its not leaking why do you want to?
3. No plastic or flexi's

Thanks for the reply.

The wooden panelling is being removed, there is a void behind & the pipework will be re-installed farther back.

The valve isn't leaking now, but as I need to replace the pipework to the shower, previous experience tells me that by disturbing any of it, it will (usually once the last bit is finished).

The pipework in the roof space is all barrier pipe, what is wrong with it?

Thanks for the reply.

The wooden panelling is being removed, there is a void behind & the pipework will be re-installed farther back.

The valve isn't leaking now, but as I need to replace the pipework to the shower, previous experience tells me that by disturbing any of it, it will (usually once the last bit is finished).

The pipework in the roof space is all barrier pipe, what is wrong with it?

I have seen mice and rats chew through plastic barrier pipe in roof spaces.

And that can make a mess.

If they are in your roof and you poison them they need to get to water and they know its in there.

Agreed, the loft space is far, far worse.

Anyhoo, I now need a new cylinder, is this a good buy?

RM Indirect Copper Cylinder 1050 x 450mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Well you are not going to get a bad deal from screwfix but why not support your local plumbers merchants, they will be able to match if not better the price and you can get all your little bits and pieces there

Looking at pictures, pipework off top of cylinder looks a bit strange
you have a 22mm tee ,with two 22mm pipes going up ? ones the hot feed to taps and vent presume , what’s the other do or have they run hot to taps incorrectly

imho

Well you are not going to get a bad deal from screwfix but why not support your local plumbers merchants, they will be able to match if not better the price and you can get all your little bits and pieces there

Looking at pictures, pipework off top of cylinder looks a bit strange
you have a 22mm tee ,with two 22mm pipes going up ? ones the hot feed to taps and vent presume , what’s the other do or have they run hot to taps incorrectly

imho

Funny you should say that about plumbers merchants. A local chain have given awful service on two consecutive occasions. I tend to use on on-line company who are very helpful & competitive.

I really want to fit the cylinder tomorrow & most merchants are closed.

I assume the cylinder comes with bosses fitted, I should be able to pick up the connections there also.

As for the output pipework, the 22mm tee went to a bath & sink (with the vent), the other 22mm went to the kitchen. The 15mm did a pumped shower.

I intend to take 1 x 22mm out from the new cylinder, tee off for the shower fairly close. Once the 22mm gets into the loft, i'll pick up the other 22mm pipes & the vent.

Does this sound ok?

Hi. It looks like you may have a problem undoing the hot draw off? Unless a junior is used. On the positive side solders about 7quid a kg

Noticed that lead boy soldered compression fitting eh? It is a bit of a lash up but I've seen a lot worse. Just add ons that do it.

If you do buy the RM cylinder you will need in addition to the stantard 2*Mail & 2*femail inch BSP fittings for the coil feed & outlet, you also get two extra outlets fitted to the cylinder one you need to cap with an inch blank plug the other buy an additional inch mail to 15 or 22mm compresions fitting and tou can boss the shower direct to the cylinder without taping off the top. Much better uninterupted supply of HW to shower with no danger of air locking.

So anyone know why the vent + draw-off compression connection has been soldered on top? Would that work? Shouldn't they have just used some sort of jointing compound/leak sealant if it hadn't sealed properly? I ask because if that does work, well, it could be a new last resort.

Hi. The elbow was soldered in position, hence the solder fillet around the compression nut.

All done now, with only 1 leak (not enough PTFE around the the output connection).

Will post some pics later.

Thanks for all the advice.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I recently replaced a dead central heating pump in my home, so drained down the system completely, fitted new pump and filled up. What...
Replies
Views
Back