Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water coming out of overflow in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hot water coming out of overflow pipe. It's not dripping, it's pouring out. The tank hasn't been switched on for ages. It's an immersion heater. I'm thinking the water is boiling in it and overflowing but not sure.

Is the water hot coming out of the pipe be careful as it might be

You need to make sure the immersion heater is turned off and electrically isolated. What you have now is a recipe for disaster and needs to be stopped. Not long ago here in Taunton a toddler died because the immersion heater thermostat had failed, the immersion heater continued to supply energy to the water and after a while it began to boil and vent over. The plastic cold water storage tank became hot and failed, resulting in near boiling water pooring through the ceiling and on to a sleeping toddler below.

You need to make sure the immersion heater is turned off and electrically isolated. What you have now is a recipe for disaster and needs to be stopped. Not long ago here in Taunton a toddler died because the immersion heater thermostat had failed, the immersion heater continued to supply energy to the water and after a while it began to boil and vent over. The plastic cold water storage tank became hot and failed, resulting in near boiling water pooring through the ceiling and on to a sleeping toddler below.

Reply to Hot water coming out of overflow in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock