Search the forum,

Discuss Hitachi 5.0Ah cordless - any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the 4 Ah version and killed it in two years. All of the smoke escaped out of the back.

Hi, I'm new here although long time lurker.

I bought the combi drill and driver last weekend and so far have been really pleased with it. Came from a Makita 18v Li-Ion set. The batteries are a similar weight to Makita 3.0Ah (slightly heavier at a guess), tools are very similar weight and feel. They come with standard 3 year warranty, including the batteries.

I got the set for ÂŁ300 inc. VAT, fantastic value when I was considering the Miwaukee version. Also all the other cordless tools seem slightly cheaper than other makes.

If these high amp bats are new on the market I'd leave well alone until they are more established no matter who manufacturer.

If these high amp bats are new on the market I'd leave well alone until they are more established no matter who manufacturer.

Once panasonic release it on their tools you know the technology is right

Had my AEG less than 2 years before the 2 batteries were goosed. New ones were a fortune so opted for new drill.
Went for the 4ah version of that Hitachi with 3yr warranty.
Great drill. Loads of power(lots more than the AEG) and batteries charge last for ages.

There are some hardcore tool abusers on this thread....I've still got my two original Makita 18V LXT pre Macstar batterys still going strong from 5 years ago. Granted the drill has seen better days though.

I've never had smoke out of any powertool cheap or branded.

I tried out the Hitachi stuff at the FFX toolshow, to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the performance but liked the look of the price. The head sales rep in the UK was there and offering ridiculously cheap deals. After trying out lots of different manufacturers I settled with a Panasonic Combi drill and impact and its awesome, only had it a couple months so cant really say how reliable it is over the long term, but in performance it is brilliant and out performs the makitas that everyone has.

I thought the Hitachi felt inferior in quality. That is why I bought the 5.0ah Metabo brushless.

Ive always found ITS mire expensive than FFx, who hold their show in march.when that comes around i'll have more to spend as im buying a press kit in the next week or so...

Why does anyone really need 5.0Ah batteries? Surely 4.0Ah is more than good enough as long as you have another spare battery when the charge goes. The Ah is just how long the battery can last between charges, - its fuel tank really & not its power. Is it just simply, - mine is bigger than yours?
Only real benefit I see with the slightly bigger Ah battery is because it lasts a little longer before needing charging, then it will require less charging than a lower Ah battery to do the same work over a few years & therefore will be be more value for money as will have longer life. But that's if the higher Ah battery is similar cost.
I would prefer the lightest & smallest battery for working above my head or in tight spots, but I wouldn't want to pay too much for low Ah batteries. Four of 2Ah would be better than two of 4ah IMO if same price.

Last edited:
Why does anyone really need 5.0Ah batteries? Surely 4.0Ah is more than good enough as long as you have another spare battery when the charge goes. The Ah is just how long the battery can last between charges, - its fuel tank really & not its power. Is it just simply, - mine is bigger than yours?
Only real benefit I see with the slightly bigger Ah battery is because it lasts a little longer before needing charging, then it will require less charging than a lower Ah battery to do the same work over a few years & therefore will be be more value for money as will have longer life. But that's if the higher Ah battery is similar cost.
I would prefer the lightest & smallest battery for working above my head or in tight spots, but I wouldn't want to pay too much for low Ah batteries. Four of 2Ah would be better than two of 4ah IMO if same price.

Depends on a couple of things, Best. If you're at a job long enough to get a depleted battery up to full charge, then fine, lower Ah won't matter. If you're doing a lot of smaller jobs then one flat battery means you have no backup when the current one goes.

But for me it's not about going bigger. I'm not dead set on 5Ah for any reason. When I do replace my AEG kit which is still going strong, the only thing I am set on is that I want brushless motors. If I get a killer deal on 4Ah or even 3Ah batteries, I'll grab them. Just now there are decent priced packages with the 5Ah.

my milwaukee batteries were both completely flat on a job this week. i put one on charge for 3mins. yes three minutes and i stuck it on the impact and drove 250 screws into a sheet of ply before it died again. this took twenty mins and by then the other battery was upto 4 bars. 3ah batts.

Most of these 5ah batts are the same size and weight of the older 3ah ones. in 2 years you will prob not see 3 and 4ah sold with tools sets. it will prob be a choice of 5ah or 2ah or simularish (prob 6ah and 2.5ah if progression keeps going).

I think if you have several tools a combination of normal and compact batts will suit most tradesmen. compact in your screwdriver/ smaller tools and normal in your saw and sds.

my milwaukee batteries were both completely flat on a job this week. i put one on charge for 3mins. yes three minutes and i stuck it on the impact and drove 250 screws into a sheet of ply before it died again. this took twenty mins and by then the other battery was upto 4 bars. 3ah batts.

That's seriously impressive!

Mine live in van on 6 bay charger or a 150w inverter . Pretty much charged 24/7 nowerdays but I'm doing less and less work and more and more driving around

5.0ah batteries are brilliant if you have a grinder/circular saw. The radio also lasts nearly 2 weeks without charging.

I can see the appeal when on sites when charging is a nightmare and saves lugging 6 batteries when 3 will do (I'm going back to when I worked on site and had to carry 6 2.4ah batteries to get me through the day.

When working in houses though I can't see the point have 2 batteries in use and 1 on charge.

I have the hitachi 5ah batteries and they do last very well. The drill is a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hitachi 5.0Ah cordless - any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock