Discuss Hiring an apprentice pros/cons in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm going through a similar process, personally I'm looking for people who have a good work ethic and I'm happy to work with. If you're willing to put the time in and help a perosn grow they will generally pay you back in spades. Treat them like family and be open and honest with them.

Think about the skills your you don't have your business would benefit from and look for employees with them. The day to day practical stuff of any trade is generally easier/quicker to pick up than all the skills you don't realise you have.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I am curious to find about any cost you incurred when taking on an apprentice. I have been approached by an agency, who told me, except from a salary, there are no costs. So I went ahead, and hired an apprentice. Now almost 2 months later I received a contract to sign from the agency, that has costs that me as an employer have to pay. Not even detailing what the charges are for, except one where it states that if the apprentice fails their first EPA, the employer (me) is required to cover the financial costs of a resit, between £800 to £1000, plus an additional £65.

If anybody has more insight on apprenticeships, would be great to know as I cant sign a contract that is asking me to pay for something i have never agreed in the first place.

Thank you in advance.

There should be at present many Government schemes/incentives available for employers taking on an apprentice.
So in terms of training costs are minimal. Although, the part about EPA resit costs are correct. The EPA will only take place after the Apprentice has completed all his formal training i.e. after four years.
Thus their (apprentice) progress will be monitored by their Training Provider (College or Training Centre). There are also annual phase tests to pass, so they will not progress onto EPA until they are ready.
Careful selection of the candidate is key, as is communication with the training provider and parents/guardians.
IMO avoid private agencies in preference to a good local College.
We all had to start somewhere, if you can provide a safe learning environment, then give a youngster a chance.

Reply to Hiring an apprentice pros/cons in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock