Discuss High gas usage for boiler. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Not going to read back but have you took into account that for two years our way of living has changed, eg first year of lockdown working from home heating used more. Not saying this is it but have you taken it into account

Just throwing this out there. What if the old meter was under reading and you have actually been using this amount of gas per year. New meter gets installed 2 years ago, reads correctly and now you notice it.

Very valid point! It could well be!!! And I’ve no real way to prove it now!
From reading the thread, everything pretty much checks out. Nothing posted stands out as odd for a property like yours. Perhaps if I saw the property it would, who knows.

From the basics, you check the gas line for tightness. No leaks confirmed. Good.

You check the boiler consumption/meter readings, yup it’s using the correct amount of gas. Good.

This means gas is only being used to generate heat via combustion.

This heat has to go somewhere.

No leaks on the cylinder wasting hot water. Good.

House not too warm. Good.

Not really anywhere else an increase of 5 times previous could come from.

From reading the thread, everything pretty much checks out. Nothing posted stands out as odd for a property like yours. Perhaps if I saw the property it would, who knows.

From the basics, you check the gas line for tightness. No leaks confirmed. Good.

You check the boiler consumption/meter readings, yup it’s using the correct amount of gas. Good.

This means gas is only being used to generate heat via combustion.

This heat has to go somewhere.

No leaks on the cylinder wasting hot water. Good.

House not too warm. Good.

Not really anywhere else an increase of 5 times previous could come from.
Your synopsis seems sound.

I’ve spoke to a thermal imaging and heat efficiency company who really new their stuff and pretty much said their same. They do thermal scans and air tightness test to see where the heat is escaping and advise on the remedial work we could look at - so I’m seriously considering it to at least get some closure!

Your synopsis seems sound.

I’ve spoke to a thermal imaging and heat efficiency company who really new their stuff and pretty much said their same. They do thermal scans and air tightness test to see where the heat is escaping and advise on the remedial work we could look at - so I’m seriously considering it to at least get some closure!
I agree.

This isn’t a dig, just my experience. Customers always talk about what can they do to save money on gas, can we upgrade to smart controls, upgrade the boiler etc.

Once you take into account the cost of these items, they really don’t save a huge amount. I’m not saying don’t do them, but they are not the golden gun.

A property takes a certain amount of heat energy to keep it at a certain temperature. Today’s high efficiency boilers running efficiency in the 90%+, don’t have a lot of room to improve.

With that and the age of our housing stock (subpar thermal insulation), the best efficiency increase is to stop that heat from escaping the property.

I think your Worcester bosch junior 24i system boiler is not getting the proper gas supply that's why your boiler not working properly. The heating output is 24Kw is ideal for any property with around 15 radiators.

Please share the pics so that I can help you more efficiently. If your boiler comes under the brand warranty then please contact customer care.

The second option will be you can take advice from the professional rooter and plumbing service provider near your area. Because the boiler system needs an engineer to fix it.
so please explain why a 24kw boiler is good for a number of rads?

I agree.

This isn’t a dig, just my experience. Customers always talk about what can they do to save money on gas, can we upgrade to smart controls, upgrade the boiler etc.

Once you take into account the cost of these items, they really don’t save a huge amount. I’m not saying don’t do them, but they are not the golden gun.

A property takes a certain amount of heat energy to keep it at a certain temperature. Today’s high efficiency boilers running efficiency in the 90%+, don’t have a lot of room to improve.

With that and the age of our housing stock (subpar thermal insulation), the best efficiency increase is to stop that heat from escaping the property.
No offence taken! I think your right and The survey will just be to put a final confirmation on it!

This is why you install a continous water heater and a separate heating boiler. Saves lost of money while providing perfect comfort levels...and they are really cheap to buy...with gas price trends being higher in the medium term, the ROI will be very short

Reply to High gas usage for boiler. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone. I'm back! It's been a year since my original post and I still haven't managed to resolve the mysterious water usage in my home...
Replies
Views
MrsL6795
M
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock