Discuss High gas usage for boiler. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The boiler is no longer under warranty sadly

We’ve had a number of gas safe engineers to check and service it - so I’d hope they would have confirmed the gas? Would that be part of a service?

What should I take pics of?
Can you (also) post a photo of your gas meter.

If the usage is actually ~ 10,000kwh/annum and not 58,000kwh/annum and if a boiler problem then it must be running at around 15% efficiency, (10/58*85%), scarcely believable?, the easiest/obvious first port of call IMO is to monitor the meter readings over a few minutes while running the boiler at its 24kw output.
It’s been about 58000/annum for the past 2 years!

I presume I put it in service mode to make sure it’s running full steam? And then monitor the gas meter for the time?

Thank you!

If service mode means that it opens all zone valves etc and then fires at 100%, then, yes, if not just turn up the room thermostats and the cylinder stats and ensure all zones calling for heat, then monitor gas usage for exactly two minutes or so, your meter must show decimal point measurement, if not it may have a flashing LED which may be used to monitor like our smart elect meters.

If a combi boiler just open all hot taps & showers.

Attachments

• E960869D-59FC-4FD6-83A4-46B3635AAC3A.jpeg
    E960869D-59FC-4FD6-83A4-46B3635AAC3A.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 24
If service mode means that it opens all zone valves etc and then fires at 100%, then, yes, if not just turn up the room thermostats and the cylinder stats and ensure all zones calling for heat, then monitor gas usage for exactly two minutes or so, your meter must show decimal point measurement, if not it may have a flashing LED which may be used to monitor like our smart elect meters.

If a combi boiler just open all hot taps & showers.
So I just did the test - put the boiler in service mode - turned the radiators all on (tado) and then watched the meter for 2 minutes exactly

The reading started at 4559.622 m3 and then went to 4559.672 m3 at the end of the 2 mins.

Last edited:
I think you miss typed ? Either the first or last figure 3rd number in ?

That's a consumption of 0.050M3/2min, = 0.050*60/2, 1.5M3/hr, = 1.5*10.8, 16.2kwh = ~ 16.2*85%, 13.8kw boiler output.
That's probably OK as the boiler would not be firing full out to service rads only, So IMO, beyond any reasonable doubt, the meter is reading correctly.
Would suggest monitoring the meter reading over say exactly two full days and see what you consume, to convert..... Kwh = M3X10.8. To annualize it, Kwh = M3X10.8X365/2. (or divide by whatever the monitored period was).Depending on what you get then you must decide your course of action.

Reply to High gas usage for boiler. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone. I'm back! It's been a year since my original post and I still haven't managed to resolve the mysterious water usage in my home...
Replies
Views
MrsL6795
M
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock