Search the forum,

Discuss Help with wiring at Salus IT500 thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottmorrison87

Hi Folks,
I'm a Diyer so trying my hand at installing a new salus it500 thermostat on my current system

Current system
My current oil burner system is 1 zone only which heats all radiators and water together, at the boiler end I have 1 black wire and a earth going into a double switch, one for pump and one for burner. Inside I have a wired thermostat which is terrible so I turn it up full blast to get the heating to work and I have a clock timer switch under the stairs to turn the heating on and off.

Ive tried to wire the new system as best I can but with no joy, ive attached a picture of the wiring where I removed the old timer switch and left the current wires on show and a picture of the different wiring options.

Can any of you kind fellows help me out as I'm beating my head off a brick wall here...
20151230_193648.jpg20151230_193531.jpg:001_9898:

waste of money for what you have at present. get a plumber to turn it into an s or y plan and wire it up for you properly, from memory all the wiring set ups assume your using an s or y plan set up.

ok thanks for the advice, but in the mean time is there no way this can be wired into my current system?

where your instructions show you trying to wire a combi, is your boiler a combi plus using choc blocks for starters?

Also using chocolate blocks as your are isnt very clever if you want your Rx to fit back on safely, for your sake and others in the house pay someone to do a prper job, you will then save money in the medium term

Last edited by a moderator:
No there are 3 options on the instructions for a combi, mines is a grant boiler with a sterling burner, normal oil burner not the combi type

all you need is a perm live, neutral and earth, then a switched live for it to work. If your not able to work out whats what, get someone in.............

ok so I know which ones the mains live/neutral/earth its the switching live that's throwing me with the way its currently wired

I hate to agree with above comments, but when I hear you have an earth going into a switch, might I suggest the wiring you have already is substandard?

I mean, it sounds like someone's using a CPC (earth cable) as a switched live or a live. And that isn't good or safe really. Earth cables are not designed to take current except in a fault situation.

No one on here is going to advise you on how to bodge it, and if you're going to go down the route of getting it done properly, it might be better to use a sparkie as even those of us with the relevant knowledge cannot be sure about something we have not the full details of.

This may be why people aren't being that helpful in the way you'd like us to be.

And, I agree, that installation manual is horrible. Why show people how to wire it without showing them how the poxy thing works instead? I.e. what terminal becomes live in what circumstances. I know someone with the right knowledge could reverse engineer it, but seems an unnecessary complication to me.

Time to get a spark / heating eng in before you burn your house down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with wiring at Salus IT500 thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock