Search the forum,

Discuss Help with weird old rad valve please! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

First post and DIY'er, please be kind!

Just moved into a property which needs some work. Have a plasterer coming soon and need to get this rad off. Any ideas how on earth this valve works?! I've never seen one like it before. It's not moving with either a flat screwdriver or spanners, so I don't know whether it's on or off.

Any help welcomed, thank you :)

Attachments

• 108730358_320426702427987_2705498762610258946_n.jpg
    108730358_320426702427987_2705498762610258946_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
I'd say it's a lockshieled valve, there would have been a cap screwed onto the thread and the slotted screw should adjust it.
However it's probably seized through lack of use.
It's possible that the part with the screw, thread, knurled nut and cap below all remove as one piece to reveal a pin valve as thermostatic valves have, the screw could possibly then be freed.

However there's a risk the valve may fall apart.

The simplest way would be to drain the system and replace the valve, and any others similar to it.

Reply to Help with weird old rad valve please! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink putting the pipe work in the wall then fitting these black shut off valves and black trap but can’t see how this is possible the way the work has been...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
L
Im just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as had 2 plumbers round and still getting same issue. Ive recently loved into a new house and the heating system is doing something weird. It had a new worcester bosch boiler a couple of years ago and heating system seems in good order. But...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock