Search the forum,

Discuss Help with weird old rad valve please! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

First post and DIY'er, please be kind!

Just moved into a property which needs some work. Have a plasterer coming soon and need to get this rad off. Any ideas how on earth this valve works?! I've never seen one like it before. It's not moving with either a flat screwdriver or spanners, so I don't know whether it's on or off.

Any help welcomed, thank you :)

Attachments

• 108730358_320426702427987_2705498762610258946_n.jpg
    108730358_320426702427987_2705498762610258946_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
I'd say it's a lockshieled valve, there would have been a cap screwed onto the thread and the slotted screw should adjust it.
However it's probably seized through lack of use.
It's possible that the part with the screw, thread, knurled nut and cap below all remove as one piece to reveal a pin valve as thermostatic valves have, the screw could possibly then be freed.

However there's a risk the valve may fall apart.

The simplest way would be to drain the system and replace the valve, and any others similar to it.

Reply to Help with weird old rad valve please! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock