Discuss Help required to identify a valve on Hot Water Draw-off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

Hoping someone on here could assist with a query I have regarding a valve on our hot water draw-off from our Megaflo system.

Have called out British Gas Homecare engineer as hot water pressure has decreased on all taps/baths/showers to the point that it takes ages to fill bath/sinks or (mixer) shower is running tepid.

Long story short, he is going to replace a large pressure relief valve but as part of his investigation he noticed another valve on our 'hot water draw-off'.
20181024_125828.jpg
20181024_115545.jpg
20181024_125828.jpg

He didn't know what it was (thought it looked like either another PRV or a Mixer valve) but couldn't understand why this would be on the hot water draw-off - He called a couple of guys who could not identify it or its purpose.

He removed it to check it and it appeared clear, but when he to put it back in place, it started leaking when the cold water infill was turned back on.

He has said that when the other PRV is being replaced (tomorrow), he will take the leaking valve out and replace with a piece of pipe.

I'm looking for help to identify what it is, and would it be safe to remove it and replace with pipe (I'm thinking it must have been put in for a reason)?

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

PS If it helps, he said there appears to be 3 pressure relief valves on the system - 1 at the main stopcock into the property, 1 big one on the Megaflo (which is the one he is going to replace), and this possible one on the draw-off.

The only thing I can think of that your builder / plumber has done when he built it is teed off for the balanced colds before the pressure reducing valve

Which has been causing problems with the cold overpowering the hot eg hot tap running cold on mixed, so they've put another reducing valve before the tee off

Best thing you can do is ask for a more experienced engineer to come out and have a look as your not happy

Also any parts they replace will have to be from the manufacturer to keep your cylinder warranty eg the black mono / control block one megaflow

Will leave this thread open for now but I'm keeping my eye on it

That engineer may be qualified but is not very good.
That valve is a pressure reducing valve. If it’s on the Domestic hotwater outlet then it’s been installed in the wrong place. The engineer may be right that it needs taking out and just pipe out in.
HOWEVER....He needs to have a look at the manufacturer’s instructions and replace and parts with genuine parts meant for that cylinder.
They need to be replaced in the correct order and according to G3 regulations!

Reply to Help required to identify a valve on Hot Water Draw-off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock