Discuss Help! - Noisy central heating system – not heating water well …… in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Have a google of any open vented diagram, the F/E pipes are always behind the circulator on the circuit and never in front, that is the cause of your air ingress issues.
Thanks again

this is rather frustrating - seems like i have inherited someone's shoddy work ....

i have had a quick google and found there are examples of both ways though

the system does not do it if on central heating central setting - only on hot water - why is that ?

and does this suggest it might be possible to run this configuration and tune the problem out somehow - maybe by fitting a restrictor or something ...?

or is the only solution re-plumbing the F/E to alternate locations ?

thanks again for your help!

open vented 1.JPG
open vented 2.JPG

Actually the later example shows the feed pipe is nearer the rear of the circulator than the front on the circuit. Still I don't think it's a reliable example (DIY website) , needs replumbing.

Actually the later example shows the feed pipe is nearer the rear of the circulator than the front on the circuit. Still I don't think it's a reliable example (DIY website) , needs replumbing.
OK - i am following you - thanks for the explanation - will have to have a think about how i could replumb the pipes in practice

or - if going that far anyway -

it may make more sense to redesign the system to be a closed boiler circuit system - and also create a mains pressurised hot water circuit - as hot water flow / pressure is currently too low for an effective shower upstairs - and i was going to install an additional pump for that purpose -

but installing the appropriate expansion vessels and regulators would achieve both .....

its a big job for me in my current state of health thou - and don't want to be without heating all together for long in the middle of winter - so will need to give it some thought....

Last edited:
Sealing the central heating circuit should alleviate all your current problems. Cap the F/E feeds, add an expansion vessel and filling loop shouldn't cost too much or take too long to have done.

You can't pressurise an open vented HW cylinder but adding a single or twin shower pump should be straight forward enough.

Good Luck.

You can't pressurise an open vented HW cylinder but adding a single or twin shower pump should be straight forward enough.

thanks

i had wondered about that - my guess is the system was installed around 12 years ago - probably just before pressurised systems became the norm - there are no pressure rating markings on the HW tank - so i guess it is the non-pressurised type
shame

will go with the pumped shower solution - think i just about have room to install this and a pressure vessel in the airing cupboard

ref the expansion vessel for the boiler circuit - is there a rule of thumb i should follow for the size i should use

i guess its based on volume - the system is smallish - 5 radiators and the HW tank coil - smallish 3 bed house
2x 6ft double layer radiators
1x 3ft double layer radiators
1x 6ft single layer radiator
1x 3ft single layer radiator

any other gotcha's i should look out for

thanks again !

If it's a 60's house chances are you don't have the water pressure and flow rate to be able to utilise an unvented cylinder anyway.

An EV is usually based on 10% system volume'ish so an 8 litre EV would do for a small system.

have ordered a 12litre EV and install kit to err on the safe side - plan to install it in the AC above the HW tank - directly into the lines that currently go up the wall into the loft to the expansion tank.

was very reasonable - here -

do i need anything else ?

anything i should watch out for ?

yep - the F/E pipes

i see the instructions say preferably on the return side - but doesn't say MUST - so i m hoping that is not essential

as i understand it as long as the system volume is able to expand unhindered into the vessel - then it will work correctly - and since no air can get sucked in via the vessel - that should solve the air issue

no?

Reply to Help! - Noisy central heating system – not heating water well …… in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock