Search the forum,

Discuss Help my family get warm please. cold water feed issue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly many many thanks for the responses. I didn't get an email saying I had more replies so its taken a while to respond.

The brass thing doesn't have any internals. I took it off as I didn't really know what it was for (why would you have that?) and its just a tube with a bleed vent in it.

I agree, if I could get someone in I would. Weve had 2 guys round since we moved in and neither wants to touch it, the last one telling me so as he said there was a lot of potential for it to make no difference and costa lot and hence make me an unhappy customer. I appreciated his honesty. The first guy (recommended, whole family uses him etc etc) I lost confidence in.

I think just relocating the fed and vent will solve most of the problems so ill look into that first as the cwf if defianteley blocked / restricted as it comes into the boiler return. Thank you for the suggestions.

two questions I have are why put the "u" in the feed pipe? and why do they have to be so close together?i imagine its to aid filling of the loop with reduced potential for airlocks? or is it to keep the pressure similar between the two points?

Again many thanks for the help. :)

Oh and is there any reason why it is preferable to have the feed and vent on the outlet of the boiler as opposed to the inlet?

two questions I have are why put the "u" in the feed pipe? and why do they have to be so close together?i imagine its to aid filling of the loop with reduced potential for airlocks? or is it to keep the pressure similar between the two points?

Again many thanks for the help. :)

The u is to insure water is drawn in from that pipe rather than having air travel up it.
The distance is to insure constant positive pump pressure around the circuit. The only neutral or negative zone will be the max 150mm section. As the pump pushes water through the boiler and back to the vent any air there will rise up out of the vent. The pump wont pull air because it is easier for it to draw water from the feed which is between the vent and the pump. The pump then pushes water around the whole circuit (through the 3 port to hot water coil or to rads or both). The only point on the circuit that the pump isnt pushing is the section between vent and feed.

On older open vent boilers it was common to add the feed to the boiler direct as this insured that the boiler was least likely to air lock. I suspect as has been suggested that your boiler and system is likely to have been a gravity based system at some point and has been badly converted to add the pump and 3 port.

On a gravity system one way valves are fitted to insure hot water rises in the direction around the circuit that is intended. The brass cylinder / valve referred to as possibly a one way valve is below the floor in one of your pics. I will try to find the pic you posted of it.
[DLMURL]https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/108267992033991783465/album/6101913436219624961/6101913719600700530?cbp=1f2cape2s0mlz&authkey&sview=20&cid=5&soc-app=115&soc-platform=1&spath=/app/basic/photos/108267992033991783465/album/6101913436219624961&sparm=cbp%3D1l88h28fv2tn1%26authkey%26sview%3D20%26cid%3D5%26soc-app%3D115%26soc-platform%3D1%26pgpnum%3D2%26spath%3D/app/basic/photos%26sparm%3Dcbp%253D1l88h28fv2tn1%2526authkey%2526sview%253D20%2526cid%253D5%2526soc-app%253D115%2526soc-platform%253D1%2526pv%253Dhi%2526pgpnum%253D1[/DLMURL]

Sealing the system and getting rid of the feed and vent tank is another effective way to go, but will have greater initial parts and materials costs and may have implications for any parts of your system that cant take the increased operating pressure of a sealed system ( 1.2/1.5 bar cold - 2.5 bar hot)

Correct the pipe layout as I illustrated and try running the system again.
When filling the system with the pipework altered if you are competant enough, wire the central heating pump to a plug and just run the pump with the boiler off untill all the radiatirs are bled and the air pips I illustrated have stopped letting out air. Then wire the original pump flex back to the pump and fire the system up with thd boiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and is there any reason why it is preferable to have the feed and vent on the outlet of the boiler as opposed to the inlet?
On a pumped system it is irrelevant. Its just about the location of the pump which for wiring convenience is normally with the cylinder 3 port etc and therefore on the boiler outlet.
The important part is that the order of the pipework is vent feed pump.
Other wise you get pumping over and other problems which is what you get when the system switches to hot water coil (pump pushes water up and over vent in to the f and e, and because you have a partialy blocked feed you have in effect pumped the water out of the system and left lots of air. I bet your tank overflows run too.
It would be useful for you to post some pictures of the loft cisterns so the vent height and position can be checked.

Last edited:
oh I forgot, the tank doesn't overflow through the vent. (its about 0.5m+ above the fe tank) however you do get a slight suction though the vent which would be what you are describing.

I think you should stop playing plumber. We are professionals for a reason. I'm pretty good at a lot of things but if I want it done properly I'll call in a fellow pro. Whether it's a plasterer or a carpenter. An expert only has one area of expertise.

I 've seen poor soldering before but rarely with solder ring fittings, got to be DIY.

To the OP, I don't know many plumbers that wear a Rolex but I know what I'd do in your situation if funds were limited and I had a new baby and no heating. You've known about the issues for over a year and you've got a couple of months before the wife starts complaining as to why you still haven't sorted it yet.

I 've seen poor soldering before but rarely with solder ring fittings, got to be DIY.

To the OP, I don't know many plumbers that wear a Rolex but I know what I'd do in your situation if funds were limited and I had a new baby and no heating. You've known about the issues for over a year and you've got a couple of months before the wife starts complaining as to why you still haven't sorted it yet.

That looks like an Omega Speedmaster Professional. It could raise a grand. I have one too but would freeze my arse off rather than sell it! Don't know if my wife would agree with that though...

Stigster, I have Jaeger LC bought buy my wife so I certainly understand the attraction of such trinkets.

Thing is, a new born secretes sebum to stop you caving their little soft heads in when they're crying at night. I no longer have that protection so I'd expect to find my head caved in along with the watch if ever the house was cold with a new bairn.

Last edited:
Hello guys, long time no speak.

Firstly thanks for all your help. I finally got around to replacing the cwf and it looked like this.
https://goo.gl/photos/LBwM9Fpb4yoSoVnw7

cleaned out the pipes etc and were good. Heating is fantastic in comparison and we can easily get it up to temp. Although replacing an old rad at the same time has made me realise just how poor the old rads are.

Its still making a racket when the hot water comes on. Sounds like its pulling air in but its fine with the heating. strange.

But anyway I can live with that for the time being and mommy and baby both say thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help my family get warm please. cold water feed issue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock