Search the forum,

Discuss Help identification of Hot water cylinder I am working on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can anyone identify this behemoth? Looks like a vented combination cylinder, but not sure why it has 2 pumps and so many tappings

No pic mate ?

IMG-20161219-WA0010.jpg

Looks like a thermal store with tank on top

There is a heat only boiler downstairs, the cylinder has 2 pumps, a cold mains to the tank on top, a cold main directly into the cylinder, a hot out into a blending valve where it mixes with the cold mains so it looks like a vented.cylinder but also an unvented cylinder??

There are no zone valves or expansion vessel /pressure relief but there is a pressure reducing valve on the cold going directly to the cylinder and blending valve.
The shower is.giving 22 litres per minute

My brother in law has recently bought a house with the same set up. In 15 years I have never seen one before. Like already mentioned, it is a thermal store-when I first saw it I wondered why a fortic had mains cold to it!!!!!!! The expansion is taken up like a fortic would be, quite easy to change over to unvented, although boiler will probably need replacing as well. Bro in laws house is only tiny so fitting a combi in the new year.

It looks like a very early Range Flowmax , or might actually be a IMI .
IMI became Range

The cylinder contained the heating water (rather than the hot) the tank on top was actually the heating f&e tank.
The one pump pumped to the boiler, the other pump pumped to the rads. And the return from the radiators went back into the bottom of the cylinder.
The cold mains pipe went through the coil in the cylinder (as the heating water usually does) and then went to a TMV mixing valve where it mixed with the cold mains and out to all hot outlets at mains pressure.
There was also a large wiring centre / junction box.
Downstairs was an ideal classic and Drayton room thermostat.
Ripped it all out and fitted a baxi 33 duotec and a nest thermostat.
With regards to the.pipework, I connected [the pipe that had.the.pump to boiler ] to the return pipe from rads. And I connected [the pipe that had the pump to the rads] to the other pipe from the boiler
I capped off the hot and cold.
All working like a.dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help identification of Hot water cylinder I am working on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock