Search the forum,

Discuss Help ! damaged 15mm copper with multimaster, how thick is the copper ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spadders

Hi guys,
I have been to fit some new lights in the hall/stairs/landing of a customers house, I had to cut one of the floorboards with my multimaster to get at the cables, unbeknown to me, the flow and return pipes to the bedroom rad were tight onto the bottom of the floorboard, and when I cut through I caught the top of one of the pipes.
there is a slight indentation in the wall of the pipe, and while it isn't leaking, I'm wondering how thick the copper wall is likely to be.
I don't want to leave it, and the customer end up flooded out, so was hoping some of you guys could give me some sound advice.
If it needs cutting out and jointing, then I'll have to do that.
Thanks guys (and gals)

Heya,

To be honest its down to you. do you feel it needs sorting? its your name on the job. Will it make you feel better if something was done about it? how bad is it?

Personally if i was concerned at all i would replace it for the money/time/effort i wouldn't take the risk.

Its completely down to you fella. but maybe post some pics?

Standard 15mm copper pipe has a wall thickness of 0.7mm - about 27 thousandths of an inch. Doesn't leave much scope for a slight nick. I think you'd be well advised to replace that section of tube. If the pipes are that close to the floorboards, then there probably won't be room for a compression fitting, so a drain down (partial if pipes on 1st floor) and solder fittings will be needed.
Doesn't do you much good but whoever installed the pipes should have marked the floorboards to indicate pipes below.

Joint it.
if the pipe flexs for any reason then thats where it will leak.

It will be much easier to do now than when its flooded the house.

It will be much easier to do now than when its flooded the house.

Ray it won't, it will be easier when he gets called back as the floors will be up and the ceiling will be down so plenty access and there won't be much dust as it will all be dampened down as well

ray it won't, it will be easier when he gets called back as the floors will be up and the ceiling will be down so plenty access and there won't be much dust as it will all be dampened down as well

lol :)

Isn't going to cost much for an hours labour and a tub of inhibitor

Might be a bit expensive if the house gets a new water feature

Just nail the floor back down and collect your cash. It's what everyone else would do in the real world!!

drain down and keep on going thru where you started with the multimaster, then file the ends and solder a coupling on it, use a piece of pipe to hold it up off the joist whilst soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help ! damaged 15mm copper with multimaster, how thick is the copper ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock