Discuss HELP -Can not locate inspection Cover? Blockage in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks there is a blockage.
She stated she has tried various shop boought unblockers but nothing worked....
I went there and gained access to downstairs to look for a manhole/inspection but could not find one? My property has a ground floor extension all the way to the back wall either side property do not.
The properties either side have their manhole covers just inside their rear gates, mine is not there? I also lifted patio slabs and forced a pole down around the garden but to no avail.
The downpipes on all properties either side are in same location as mine and if using their layout mine should be in the same place on my path to my rear gate that is right next to the extension

I have looked at my paperwork and it had title deeds, just red outline for the property, plus there ar basic layout plans that show each room, living room/bathroom /kitchen bedroom/stairs/doorways/lobby.

I am at a loss now on how to proceed as i need to get to this inspection cover (if it has one but surely building regs would require this).

I have ordered some 'One Shot' Sulphuric Acid cleaner and a large monument accordion type plunger that pushes water not air to try in the toilet....

I have not been given access to the upstairs flat yet so don't know how bad it is, also the tenant did not mention the sink and from memory the furthest away is toilet, then out wall and bend and a straight that has basin and then sink, I'm not 100% on this as i was so flustered lifting next doors manholes/lifting slabs and looking in my extension for some type of cover.

I did manage to check the downstairs flat and everything is fine.

So i'm thinking i have 2 feeds into the 'lost' manhole, both properties either side do, one main house (which woould be my upstairs blocked flat), one for an outside toilet (that i presume is being used for the downstairs flat).

How do i proceed here in locating it as it need to be found even if i mange to unblock it with my big bad boy balck plunger and one shot.

Could it be inside the extension that's tiled and laminate? Would it back up from the 'lost' inspection cover all the way to upstairs toilet (15-20m of pipe) and not show/bubble over??

Any ideas

Cheers

It might just be how it is depending on the age of the property. I would try and access neighbouring properties manholes - for 2 reasons:
  1. Theirs could be blocked
  2. The blockage could be rodded and cleared from one of them even if theirs aren’t blocked.
Also you might have success with the Monument or a rod with a rubber disc.

It might just be how it is depending on the age of the property. I would try and access neighbouring properties manholes - for 2 reasons:
  1. Theirs could be blocked
  2. The blockage could be rodded and cleared from one of them even if theirs aren’t blocked.
Also you might have success with the Monument or a rod with a rubber disc.

I lifted both neighbours manholes and they are fine and run away from the house at approx 80 degrees.
Its just a main 'through' run with an adjacent outside toilet into each one.
Hence my thinking above as to how mine might have been ustilised.
So either side is fine and it looks like they run through into the lane/main sewer.

I was expecting to jet tbh, always have had someone in with a snake that self propels itself.

I was contemplating drilling a hole in the downpipe part and fitting a 40 or even better 50mm strap boss/rubber adapter seal/access plug?
I'm sure i read a 50mm boss strap with rubber you can just push in a solvent access plug like this?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-solvent-weld-access-plug-white-50mm/72586

I also seen this that i think is a great idea but expensive!

Video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOOkHpSAOOI
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcaR5k0AY_w

Or another option is a proper 110mm access point cover but involves lot more work and do NOT want to do tbh.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flopl...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

You don't need any fancy bungs or fittings.

Get a piece of 100mm soil pipe 100 to 150mm long.
Make 2 cuts about 40mm apart down it's length so it looks "C" shaped and 100 to 150mm long.
Drill a 50mm hole in the (Blocked?) pipe, then when the blockage is clear run a bead of silicon (or solvent for a permanent job) around the hole and spread the cut pipe out and clip it over the hole.
Secure with either a large jubilee clip or soft wire twisted to hold it till the silicon or solvent dries.

Avoid using any cleaners with acid in, otherwise you'll need gauntlets and a face visor if you open up the pipe later.

You don't need any fancy bungs or fittings.

Get a piece of 100mm soil pipe 100 to 150mm long.
Make 2 cuts about 40mm apart down it's length so it looks "C" shaped and 100 to 150mm long.
Drill a 50mm hole in the (Blocked?) pipe, then when the blockage is clear run a bead of silicon (or solvent for a permanent job) around the hole and spread the cut pipe out and clip it over the hole.
Secure with either a large jubilee clip or soft wire twisted to hold it till the silicon or solvent dries.

Avoid using any cleaners with acid in, otherwise you'll need gauntlets and a face visor if you open up the pipe later.t

That's a genius idea!
I know exactly what you mean.
Its finding some 110mm pipe is the problem, but i could put a message out to some builders and no doubt they will have an offcut.
I would use silicone so it would be easily removable if necessary.
Ive seen this 'repair' on tick Tock or similar ..lol

Anybody seem these type of glue on boss adapters, brilliant idea imo.

So if i uses one of these my 40mm (stamped 43mm would slot in), then what inspecion plus would i require that unscrews.

I presume it would be length of pipe/couper then glue this into coupler?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-solvent-weld-access-plug-white-50mm/72586

TBH i would rather do as above or fit a 50mm boss that come with rubber bungs and i'm sure you can then just push in an access plug directly into the runner bung/seal/grommet.

Can someone confirm this please as bigger the hole better for the jetter/snake/rod.

So this -https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-strap-boss-grey-110mm/93635 (requires 54mm hole cut in pipe) and just push in push fit access plug.

I could then pull out the access plug and grommet and the 54mm hole will be plenty big enough to get a snake jet/rods down.

Then yet another option is a 50mm boss adapter, but how would i fit an inspection point into this that is removable?
Plus i'm not sure what size bit would need to drill into the soil for a 50mm boss adapter, presume it would be around 64mm???

But what pug do o need for this that i can just push in as i have no 50mm pipe and purchasing a single length for 4 " of it is madness.
50mm boss -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112620481738?hash=item1a38b42cca:g:8r0AAOSwBJxdIxFV&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoL2euRCuyBUvfmBTI8fced3OF3FMEA%2BLBij4a3geiabzJOiIm8O2dKA7Ge6qeTH9CiV6y%2FbhSQwHpwNc0xwNVjQZtpsW4MPHnRQeEbz99rKCYTEA3fqJdpl%2BX4NaaWAEgYLtxSwKlpSFQSnbSyK0lxGsrjRQGvz6B2IRegJoDxpRAi2uw5eombwu6Ko7vVoM%2B41oIoakqlW9FEPQmwjbb9Q%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9Cs8LSLYQ

50mm access plus, can i just push this in? -

I KNOW i have come across these type of bosses with the inspection point just pushed into them, no pipe, ive seen it on a property somewhere in the past.

Cheers

Reply to HELP -Can not locate inspection Cover? Blockage in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
Hi, So i have lived in my house for 20+ years, (1990 build) its a detached property, corner plot with various manholes in the garden. In the...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100%...
Replies
Views
Whilst messing about trying to find the location of my underground pipw leak, still ongoing, I decided to have a look at my drainage chamber. A...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have a commercial customer who asked me a few months ago to investigate a toilet that kept blocking. They'd just had the blockage...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock