Search the forum,

Discuss help appreciated on best design option for kitchen sink/appliance waste trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

growfins

Hi all

I'm building a new kitchen and I'm at the stage of planning out changes to the waste connections for a new sink. I'd appreciate some advice on best practice for the sink trap connections to the current 40mm waste supply.

The new sink is deeper than the old one, but I reckon a p trap would connect at the same vertical level to the current waste pipe.

However I also need to add in waste for a dishwasher. If I use a p trap with a built in appliance spigot tee, I reckon the increased depth on the inlet side will position the appliance tee lower than the waste by about 50mm.

Any advice on the best thing to do here ?

This is what I'm thinking is possible:

a. Ignore a trap with a built in appliance spigot and go for a separate trap for the DW, positioned further up the waste pipe.

b. Use a trap with a built in spigot as it may not be a problem - as long as the sink bottom is higher than the waste supply and the outlet pipe from the trap doesn't end up going up hill towards the waste.

c. Try and lower the waste pipe whilst maintaining a good fall to the stack. The length is around 1.3m and I think I currently have about 30-40 mm drop over the length. trap.jpg

I've attached a pic to hopefully help make clearer. Any advice is appreciated, as is also any wisdom on the magic workings of good trap planning in general.

Do you have access to the soil stack, if so you could cut in a new position for the waste pipe and fit it at a height that suits the sink.

Thank you for the reply.

I can access the stack, but it's an old cast iron one in an internal cavity inside the house. As I only might need to drop the waste pipe level by a matter of 50mm or so I was trying to avoid that.

Excuse the ignorance at this end, but am i correct that anything connected on the inlet side of the trap needs to be at a higher level than the outlet and waste pipe side or is there a little tolerance here ?

And should I also aim for a slight gradient in the pipe between the trap and the waste pipe ?

You should have a self cleaning gradient but not too steep to siphon the trap.

Thanks. Any recommendations for the gradient required on a 40mm waste pipe for a length of 1.3m ?

Here is another version and a lot cheaper [DLMURL="http://www.pipescenes.co.uk/uni-stackpipe-connector-strap-on-boss-for-soil-pipe-plastic-cast-iron.html"]Uni Stackpipe Connector Strap on Boss for Soil Pipe Plastic-Cast Iron[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks. I'll take those words of wisdom and if I bottle it, I'll get someone in if needed. If only there was someone local and trusted around London SE23 ?

BTW, what's the issue with using another trap on the waste just for the appliance outlet ?

That's Forest Hill right? Might well be up near there for another poster on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help appreciated on best design option for kitchen sink/appliance waste trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock