Discuss Hello, need advice on going self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rs1984

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post? but I'm after advice on setting up on my own..

I have worked for British gas as a technical engineer (service and repair) for the last nine years, I have enjoyed the job, I've gained a good level of experience on fixing and servicing a wide range of boilers.
I have installed a few boilers, combi swaps, and systems to combi's etc.

Whilst I have liked working at Bg, I have always wanted to set up on my own.. Be my own boss, have some flexibility in work etc.

Im interested in any advice people have to offer?
Any good sites for technical reference? At Bg we have a full data base of boiler gc info, is there anything like that available?
Is it worth using the 'check as trade sites' for work?
What are the gas safe costs per year?

Any input/advice will be greatly appreciated!

cheers, Rik.

get a copy of your laptop files, save up enough to keep you going for a bit, you'll know what tools etc you will neeed, advertise in local monthly mags or local rags initially, for me checkatrade is an extra as it only brings in Outsiders who move to the area, not locals. Dont spend a fortune on your van, you need a customer base before you kick off, tell your customers your moving out on your own before you leave, and be prepared to do anything initially

You can copy all of the technical data like the resistance chats etc from the laptop it ain't easy but it can be done you won't be able to copy adapt though even a techie I handed the laptop to said it couldn't be done. Unless you know a contractor with a dell instead of a tough book in which case ask for his last copy and keep re dating your laptop.

As for flexibility you won't beat the 2 day weeks in the summer. My advise is REALLY think about what you're doing. If I'd have known then what I know now I may not have left.

Good luck to you if you do though there is life after BG even if at times you question why you did it

A lot depends on your location & number of other gas guys in your area, going to cost you around £1000 to get registered with GS, then other costs like van, insurance, and tools, guessing what you have now belongs to BG ? Don't forget your going to take a big hit on your earnings for a wile , no holiday pay/sick pay ect. everything comes out of your pocket ! some guys make it but more give up within 18 mths and go back on the cards, But good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the reply guys! To be honest I was expecting more negative responses..
My wife is behind me talking the chance, I appreciate it won't be a walk in the park at first.
We are planning on selling our house to release the money we have in it to set up and give us some money to cover the first year or so if business is slow to pick up. An that's why it's such a big chance to take.

Gasmanrob- I know I will miss the 3/4day weeks in the summer, but I feel I have got a choice of staying at Bg, doing 7/8/9 jobs a day; an still getting constantly pressured to sell upgrades, new boilers and energy. Or setting up on my own offering a quality service at a reasonable price and doing a fewer jobs a day at the pace I am happy with an feel will benifit the customer.

Lame plumber (lol) I haven't advertised to any of Bg customers, but I have spoke to a few with older boilers who have been quoted ridiculous prices for combi swaps (4k), who would like a new boiler but can't afford the prices so I know where to post a leaflet to when I do ;)
As for adapt xsol etc.. I have never really used it. If I get really stuck I ring the manufacturer so I will keep a note of there contacts.
Where is best for parts will be a big thing I think??

Jts plumbing- thanks for your advice and best wishes ��

I am fortunate like you - I had the backing of my missus when I started doing my own thing. I have only been out on my own for the last 2-3 weeks, but seem to be doing better than i anticipated.

I'm not gas though. Only plumbing & drains, but I advertise an emergency 24/7 service. I get a lot of calls over the weekends because in my area, it appears that other bigger/national companies offer the 24/7 service- but 9 times out of 10 let people down, or just don't answer there phones!!

Right now for me it's all about building a client base so I will respond to every little job people will throw at me regardless of the time of day. Hopefully once it becomes more regular, I can start cutting back my working hours to suit me.

You should be prepared to work weekends, unsociable hours, just to get the phone ringing. When you aren't working focus on advertising your business - whack out a load of leaflets, get a website made, business cards, etc etc ...

I recommend you go on the ukbusinessforums.co.uk - You can find some really useful info on there to do with Self Employment, CIS, advertising/marketing, etc...

Good luck with it all though mate.

I am currently sat indoors and not worked since last Friday. I'm working the rest of the week however and doing a couple of nice jobs in September. Self employed is not great thing people make it and I find it super stressful at times. I'm currently considering going back on the cards if I'm honest as I got a mortgage over my head that doesn't care if I'm sat indoors or at work. The bugger still needs to be paid.

Fallon/jcs thanks for the response guys!

Cheers for your input, I will check out that website fallon.
Jcs- I hope things improve for you!

House went up for sale, we have an offer from a cash buyer and the survey is being done tomorrow, so fingers crossed... Yer jcs I know the pressures of having a mortgage hanging over your head, that's why I decided to take the risk and sell up.
We are going to pay 6 months rent on a place to give me some breathing space.
Hopefully I can establish myself in that time..
Jcs taking on board wat you have said I might look at doing contract work for by if not. Anyone any experience in that?
Anyone know any good places for printing cards leaflets etc?

Cheers, rik.

Hmm not sure I'd sell a house to set up privately. I suppose you could buy something slightly smaller/ in a cheaper area to free up some cash but renting is just putting money in someone else's pocket. Anyway, regardless of what you decide, good luck with your endeavours mate!

Hmm not sure I'd sell a house to set up privately. I suppose you could buy something slightly smaller/ in a cheaper area to free up some cash but renting is just putting money in someone else's pocket. Anyway, regardless of what you decide, good luck with your endeavours mate!

Will be renting for 6 months before we buy to try a new area we like,
Luckily house prices have gone up in our area so yes I'm going to be using some of the money to set up.
cheers for your reply

Use it wisely and don't spend a pound when you can spend a penny. Good luck

Need longer than 6 months to get yourself established. Depends on number of competitors and also quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello, need advice on going self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock