Discuss Heat transfer calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taxes

I am probably trying to be too clever but is there a quick way of calculating the heat transfer of underfloor heating from a alupert 16 mm pipe through a screed 65mm thick and ceramic tiles into the air in a room?

I realise this involves the following

1) Pipe to Screed Conduction
2) Screed to tiles Conduction
3) tiles to air Radiation
4) Air circulation Convection.

I know the formulae for each stage but is there a calculator or spreadsheet application available?

What I am trying to do is calculate the warmup time

Thank you

Take your socks off. Fire up the heating start your stopwatch and stop it when your feet get warm [emoji38]

The idea of Under floor heating in a screed, is the screed becomes the thermal mass and keeps the heat in the screed, so in other words when you turn it on ....... You leave it on, don't do the on , off on ,off on off thing, so you shouldn't need to calculate a heat up time.
I did one in my pals a few years ago and on its first warm up it was 2/3 hours before you felt anything, but I warmed it up very slowly so's not to crack the screed.

Well you should assess the macroscopic thermal currents in the screed and the boundary layer dynamics also account for the reduction in density and the effects that has at boundary layer. The adhesive may not be solid so look at convection between surfaces. The emissivity of the floor will vary with colour and even the grout. Having lights on will alter it too. Or just calculate room losses and the time it takes to heat room by 5c.

Well you should assess the macroscopic thermal currents in the screed and the boundary layer dynamics also account for the reduction in density and the effects that has at boundary layer. The adhesive may not be solid so look at convection between surfaces. The emissivity of the floor will vary with colour and even the grout. Having lights on will alter it too. Or just calculate room losses and the time it takes to heat room by 5c.

Warmup time is more to do with thermal inertia and loss from surface

Like I said, just leave it on lol

You forgot to mention the Stephan-Boltzman constant!! Of course I Know the room heat losses. I want to know how to calculate the warmup time. How do you do that simply?

I don't intend to turn the heat on and off many times as in other types of central heating, but I don't intend to leave it on full heat when the room is not being used. i.e. there will be a main temperature and then a night-set-back type of setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat transfer calculations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock