Discuss Has anyone had any experience utilising Speedfit guarantee? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankyb88

I have been using jg speedfit for a number years now and until recently have had no major problems.

However, i have just been called to a job i completed a couple of months ago because the boiler had lost pressure. I attempted to top the pressure back up only to find it wont pressurise. I assume there is a very significant leak under the floor on the ground floor in an extension otherwise it would be visible. This area was piped by me in speedfit other than below the combi boiler which was piped in copper. Unfortunately the shallow suspended floor was plyboarded and then self leveled and tiled to match the height of electric underfloor heating mat fitted in the bathroom. Therefore it will be quite difficult and expensive for me to uncover the pipework.

As far as i'm aware i used inserts and correctly inserted fittings. I also filled up system and tested heating for an hour on completion of job with no apparent problems or drop in pressure. Customer has since only been using combi for hot water until yesterday when she started using heating with no initial problems. Between now and then my guess is a fitting has popped off so there is now a full bore leak on heating system.

If i am correct and i have not installed fittings incorrectly does this mean it is covered by john guest's guarantee? If so how can i prove it not my fault and do i commence repair work myself or do they come and assess first? Obviously customer has no heating or hot water so i cannot wait around but i don't want to pay out of my pocket or make an insurance claim if i don't have to.

Thanks

and if you did, cant see where you pressure tested it as per man-ins so jg=no compo!

and if you did, cant see where you pressure tested it as per man-ins so jg=no compo!
I guess it is an unlocked fitting or a missing insert as it held pressure on low temperature.

An other thing I remember well from the time when my company used SF pipes. Up to one bar the fitting often held pressure even on fittings with missing grippers (found quite a number of them over the time).

On an average job at least one fitting popped on initial pressure test. Usually at the magic mark of 1 bar.

I am afraid the best thing you could do is find a hatch or make one in a position where you will not cause visible damage and get ones luxury body in the cold, dark and wet space underneath.

Nightmare, either way a section of floor has to come up but where.

Just off the top of my head maybe if you drain system and if you have a compressor then isolate boiler/rads and attempt to pressurise system and if you're lucky you might hear (with your ear to the floor) any hissing.

At least then it gives you an idea where to remove tile/tiles.

I guess it is an unlocked fitting or a missing insert as it held pressure on low temperature.

An other thing I remember well from the time when my company used SF pipes. Up to one bar the fitting often held pressure even on fittings with missing grippers (found quite a number of them over the time).

On an average job at least one fitting popped on initial pressure test. Usually at the magic mark of 1 bar.

I am afraid the best thing you could do is find a hatch or make one in a position where you will not cause visible damage and get ones luxury body in the cold, dark and wet space underneath.

To my understanding though there is zero space to crawl through?

To my understanding though there is zero space to crawl through?
Maybe you are right. I have been stuck underneath floors I considered as shallow as I had to get between the joists for breathing. But yes it might not even offer that space.

Frankiebb8, what is the extension? Bathroom/ kitchen?

Is it just a single room or multiple rooms? can you drill anywhere like in a cupboard to fit an inspection camera down?

I have one which outputs to a TV which is very useful in these situations to see it on big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has anyone had any experience utilising Speedfit guarantee? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
G
I recently had a service on my worcester bosch boiler by Warmserve supposedly reputable which is under guarantee and before the service I had no...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is losing pressure. It is about 5 years old Vaillant combi boiler, we have just had 2 vertical radiator...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock