Search the forum,

Discuss Gulley trap issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

satchmolips

Hi all,
My folks bungalow was built in 1989. After several months of problems with kitchen sink smells and floods then got to the problem today. The sink waste feeds into a gulley trap which is INSIDE the house. This was a gulley with a normal plastic cover where you cut hole for waste pipe and a drain type covers the other half, obviously for external use. It was totally full of grease etc. It had been originally sealed by plastic under the hard plastic cover. Question is; was it ever legal to have such a gulley in the house? Was there a better seal that could have been used for such a gulley? House was built by reputable buiding co and overseen by architect. Did someone foul up?
I have made an alluminium cover, hole for waste, sealed that all with sealant and then mortared over the lot with weak mortar. Guess I will have to break that when it needs cleaning in the next 20 years, unless there are any good tips out there.

Hmm!

In the sixties and seventies we sometimes used internal back inlet gullies. As you say one side was covered with a sealed inspection cover and the other connected the waste in a variety of ways.

The best was probably the one with a rubber seal and a rubberised hole for either 36mm or 42 mm waste pipe. So that when the waste pipe went in a tight seal was made around it, stopping any smells coming in.

Some houses had the inspection cover outside and an extended inlet going through the wall to pick up the waste.

All legal as far as I know. Check Bldg Regs for the time to be sure.

Train the staff not to discharge fat of any kind down the sink. It is by far the biggest cause of drain problems. When allowed to cool by mixing with cold water it solidifies and gums up the works. Good Luck

never been legal to have an unsealed gully internal should be a sealed top and back inlet
but thats the nhbc for you developer dont need local envoiromental health to visit if the job is under nhbc control
and guess who pays the nhbcs wage bill yep its the developers ,cosy arrangement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gulley trap issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock