Discuss Good luck with that!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarky101

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Was in the local Graham's today chatting with the manager & the assistant manager comes over,
" can you help this lady" so I walk over to a women holding part of broken plastic WC ballvalve...
" its broken & leaking how much to fix it" she asks
" if local about £**" says I doing a Jim Bowen
"How much, think I'll leave it"
"no problem, by the way how much where you expecting to pay?"
"£20"
hence the title of this little storey...

Reminds me of a phone call I got around 11 PM one evening. "

Her: The pipes in my airing cupboard are making a screaming noise. Please can you come and have a look? I'll give you a tenner for your petrol!

Me: "Ummm no, I don't think so, not for a tenner"

Her "Allright, £20 then"

Me: Puts phone down...

People just do not get it do they. They expect to pay nothing for the best job. Just can't understand where this mentality has come from. Everyone is tightening their belts at the moment so why should people trying to earn an honest living be forced to work for nothing. Makes me so angry

Went to one job, evening call out, no heat or hot water. Replaced 3A fuse, and left spare in case it blew again, all good and running. Got offered £5.00.

Forgot to say, she finished by saying £** !!!!, it's a simple job"

I think the problem is they directly relate it to an hourly wage. They think if it takes you 20 mins to fix it then £10 is a decent price as it works out to £30 per hour. They overlook cost of tools, van ,insurance, travelling time amongst many other things.

Worryingly i don't think this will ever disappear

Well and they have the other extreme there's all these programs telling us that every tradesmen is always trying to rip you off so they automatically assume that our price however reasonable is expensive. This is why regulation rather than checkatrade and other such sites is the way to go

It has to be done properly though not like Gas Safe where its just a money making exercise with no power. I don't think anybody would object to playing regulatory affiliation fees If they felt their trade is being protected and that the unsafe idiots were being forced out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Good luck with that!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock