Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Glowworm 24hxi fan voltage/ boiler dead in the water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

la poste

Greetings one and all.

I have been asked to look at a central heating system.
The boiler is not firing so I did some tests.
It's a standard Y plan system open vented.
The boiler is getting the switched live feed from the three port valve OK.
However the pump live out from the boiler is dead and when I switch the boiler on I get a slight wurring of the internal fan and then nothing.
The voltage at the fan reads 40 Volts, that is the voltage from the PCB to the fan.

There is no error code on the front panel the boiler just goes dead in the water so to speak.
When the boiler is switched on a green light comes on the front panel, the fan farts for a bit and then the front panel dies and so does the fan.
I noticed when going through the system the pump had been put on back to front so the flow was aimed at the boiler and not towards the three port valve.
I changed the pump so it faced the right way but still the boiler is dead.

My two main questions are:
Is the fan voltage supposed to be this low (40 volts) and does this sound like the PCB is fried?

Also one more thing, before I appeared on the scene IE last week the boiler was reading a F5 code as in it was overheating.
This was probably due to the pump being the wrong way round.
Now there is no F5 code just a dead boiler.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The repair of gas boiler faults can not be discussed on the open forum. (As per forum rules)

If you are gas safe registered you can apply to an admin with your gas safe details for access to the private gas safe forum where engineers do exchange information on repairs and fault finding. If you are not gas safe registered you will need to get a local reputable gas safe registered engineer to come and diagnose your boiler fault.

I appreciate your answer but I don't have to be gas safe to change a PCB.

I'm not interested in arguing with anyone this is a simple voltage question.
I am not talking about attempting to dismantle any gas related parts.
A PCB is a PCB.
It's a changeable electrical component.
My question was simply what is the voltage at the fan terminals meant to be.

Just get a GS mate in to sort it job done

Last edited by a moderator:
A PCB is a PCB.

Its plastered over the forum..
This plumbing forum will not provide advice to anybody with regards to boiler repairs or any other form of gas plumbing without you first providing us with your Gas Safe Registration number in a thread - for very obvious reasons. If you're not qualified to touch gas, you should stay well clear of trying to!

A PCB is a PCB.

Get a gsr engineer, thats about as far as it goes.

Spitting the dummy or chucking your toys out the pram wont get the question answered either.

Ok point taken.

How about one question pump related.

If the pump was placed back to front by some guy previous to me would that be enough to blow the boiler?

The pump would be pumping back towards the boiler so forcing a hot water build up in and around the boiler.

Could this kill the boiler?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm 24hxi fan voltage/ boiler dead in the water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock