Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Glow-Worm Betacom 30c no pressure and wont "top up" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sidney74

Hi all, hope someone can help?

Had a Glow-Worm Betacom 30c for the past 5 Years and had no end of problems. Each time its been repaired it works for a while then breaks down again. Unfortunately this time the Engineer says to replace it but finances are not ideal so one last repair would be great!

The unit has always dripped from somewhere but not to the extent that pressure drops greatly. After the last repair the "Engineer" cracked open the filling loop slightly to compensate which I assume is not a great idea but it worked for 4 months until last week. The pressure dropped all of a sudden, heating went off so tried to fill up to no avail. I can hear the water running into the boiler but it seems to be going right through, out the copper pipe and into the drain.

Pressure gauge went up a tiny amount but no where near where it needs to be.

From reading various online forums I think it may be the pressure release valve which has failed but may be completely wrong. If it is this however I would assume its a relatively straight forward and low(ish) cost fix?

The Engineer said that it was the "condensate unit (turbo heat exchange)"?? which would involve a full strip down which would equate to the cost of replacing.

Is it worth replacing the pressure valve initially to see if it works or do these symptoms indicate that the Engineer is correct?

(We also have the flashing 90 light which has never happened before)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It sounds like you may have already spent out enough to replace it. I'm afraid I can not confirm details about boiler repairs in-line with the forum rules. I understand that this isn't a very helpful answer but we don't condone DIY boiler repair. Not saying you would but the next person that searches for this topic might. If you want my honest opinion I would replace it if it's caused you that much issue.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't planning on carrying out the repair myself and insurance have been covering repairs to date but obviously wont cover a new boiler. I understand that replacement is needed but now is not an ideal time. I was planning to suggest the pressure valve replacement to the engineer but wanted to see what others views were on the symptoms we are experiencing.

Awkward position as I can't say yes or no does your engineer suggest this?

If repairs are covered by an insurance policy let them deal with it, though I would defiantly start saving for a replacement, as you've just found out these things rarely go wrong at a convenient time.

What insurance Co are you using ? and what repairs does it cover ? is there a limit on what they will spend ? Just call them and tell them you want boiler sorted, if not, cancel insurance, Other option call out glow-worm for fixed price repair

The insurance cover up to £500 but quoted £1100 for repair which wouldn't guarantee to sort the problem. Tried glow worm direct and they were hopeless! Just waiting for price from my own engineer before deciding what to do. Just thought that replacing the pressure valve would be worthwhile trying before anything heavy duty. Appreciate everyone's advice. Cheers

The insurance cover up to £500 but quoted £1100 for repair which wouldn't guarantee to sort the problem. Tried glow worm direct and they were hopeless! Just waiting for price from my own engineer before deciding what to do. Just thought that replacing the pressure valve would be worthwhile trying before anything heavy duty. Appreciate everyone's advice. Cheers

What the hell are they going to do for £1100 ? they are taking the 'P' Some new boilers out now for around £500 with 5 year warranty allow a day for Labour + any other bits that may be required.

That's exactly what I said to the insurer when they called. That's why I thought it was just the easy (and most profitable) option for their "approved" heating firm.

Do you pay an excess just out of interest?

I can hear the water in top up pipe when it's open and its gushing straight through the boiler and into the drain.

I see your original post your engineer said a turbo heat exchange, that sounds like a car to me lol, but on a serious note mate the presure relief valve is cheap as chips , maybe 20 - 30 quid plus labour but this wont fix your pressure loss ( or it might ) , the betacom is a bottom range boiler so dont spend too much as a the new betacom 3 really cheap to buy . around the price of what your insurance covers upto,

Some insurance co's wil, put the £500 towards the cost of a new boiler if it's cheaper than repairing your current one. It's worth asking as you could end up with a new boiler for less cost than repairing your current one. Sorry, but as most have said, going on what you've said it sound that it's beyond economical repair now so time to apply for a credit card or speak to a family member very nicely to borrow some money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow-Worm Betacom 30c no pressure and wont "top up" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock