Discuss glasgow tenement feed into stack issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dondo

hey Im new to this. reading some of the answers and to issues and this site seems to be the place to find stuff out

we had a new bathroom put in 4 months ago and a the sink that was plumbed into the existing communal stack feed is leaking into the flat below us.

my plumber came out and said that it was part of the communal stack. the factors plumber came out and said it was part of our flats plumbing.

the flat was modernized years ago and the pipe that appears to be leaking (cracked?) is part of the old pipes connected to the stack and not part of the stuff we put in.

any thoughts?

Cant comment without eyes on. At least a photo otherwise you have no chance of anyone on here making a decent judgment for you. If it were me regardless of whos pipework it may or may not be I would get it fixed, and pronto even at my own cost if necessary.

Cant really comment without having a look, but it depends what they deem is theres and whats yours at the end of the day,
Welcome to the forum dondo,

I worked on tenements for many years. Some things to establish, Is the Stack internal or external, is it original cast iron or modern plastic. Some of the better buildings have two stacks one for toilets (called black water ) and a separate narrower one for basin waste ( called grey water). So check which one is leaking. If a plastic stack, determining the cause and repairing it should be simple. Possibly a strap on boss not glued properly. If old cast iron the method of connection must be checked. Often this is botched usually plastic into an iron spigot puttied or siliconed. If the stack is external, again the cause should be obvious. Ideally a timesaver iron coupling with the branch suitable for plastic, coupled properly should be used but this can be tricky as cutting the iron close to the building is often very difficult especially if high up. Also nobody wants to cut a live sewer stack in an occupied building.
Solutions , If inside on plastic or iron you repair, if outside is the leak at 'your' joint ie plastic to iron or only on the iron part. If so the Factor should repair. Be aware though , Glasgow Factors can be difficult, they may blame any leaks on the old stack on the work required to break out the old iron joint,these were run in with molten lead and need careful cutting out to avoid cracking the iron. Post a pic if you can but my feeling is that you should just get this done at your own cost as endless wrangling will make any damage worse and costs in tenements can escalate .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to glasgow tenement feed into stack issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Following a first-floor bathroom remodel done poorly by a plumber in our house a couple of years ago I have stripped everything out and I'm...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, We've got a toilet that's been leaking due to a faulty seal with the pan connector. We've had a plumber in to replace the pan connector...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock