Discuss Giving advice on here - thoughts? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

W

Welder

A recent post regarding flexis made me stop and think about things.

I felt the advice was dominated by VicDiy with his "I recently installed several vanity units at my daughter's and it was all fine" type advice.

My point, sorry for being long winded, is that as professionals we are fully insured, we have huge levels of experience to call upon for each occasional calculated risk we take.

So, taking this instance of attaching flexis to compression fittings (so non flat surfaces) as an example only, what should our advice be generally to people?

The more I think about things, the more I feel I cannot trust the 'public' to use common sense - it's just getting less and less. The more I think about things the more I feel I/we should only offer the correct/recommended way of doing things. Why? Frankly it's protectionism. I don't want some d1ckwad to be able to comes back to try to sue anyone when they flood their home cos they're a cheapskate and look for someone else to blame!

Let the debate begin :confused:

After writing this post I did some research. Obviously in the US the situation is very different. However, in 2016 there was a landmark case which the judge summed up thus:

This case serves as a good reminder that the law places duties on professionals, even where there is no contract and no fee. As Mr Alexander Nissen QC (sitting as a Deputy High court Judge) explained:

“In conclusion, it is established that in law a duty of care extends to the protection against economic loss in respect of both advice and any service in which a special skill is exercised by a professional. The duty can extend to negligent omissions as well as the performance of negligent acts. For present purposes, the relevant ingredients giving rise to the duty are an assumption of responsibility by the provider of the service coupled with reliance by the recipient of the service, all in circumstances which make it appropriate for a remedy to apply in law. The passages above make specific reference to the fact that a duty of care may be found to arise even in circumstances where services are performed gratuitously and in the absence of a contract. However, as identified by Lord Goff, in the absence of a contract it is important to exercise greater care in distinguishing between social and professional relationships.”

In order to avoid being caught up in a dispute, it is good practice to always formulate a written agreement with the recipient to your advice. Make the boundaries clear and negotiate the terms. Ask yourself if the advice you are giving is something which would be regarded as informal ‘one-off’ help, consider your own professional conduct rules and whether your Professional Indemnity Insurance would cover the scenario if it all went wrong.

I do not feel it is a simple issue to resolve. However, perhaps Dan might consider adding some form of appropriate disclaimer to the sites terms and conditions to minimise risk to those offering advice. However, I still feel my original point is still valid about offering the correct advice to people as it reinforces our perceived professionalism.

Completely agree Scott.

I sometimes wonder if being 'helpful' and offering what we 'might' choose to do to get ourselves out of trouble makes us look, well, not very professional. Every profession has its short cuts but you rarely see them. Perhaps there is a lesson for us? If we make it easy for people then its little wonder they don't employ us!

RPM you miss my point completely.

I'm not talking about protectionism at all. I'm talking about professionalism, how we are publicly perceived and whether we inadvertently expose ourselves in a legal sense.

I'm swiftly realising that many people come on here simply to have a decision that have already made validated. That's fine and dandy if that decision is correct. If however, it's a bodge (even if its something WE may choose to do occasionally) and we do not put them right, or even endorse their poor practice, then two things happen.
Firstly, by not insisting that things are done properly we look like bl00dy amateurs. This denigrates and devalues our profession.
Secondly, and far worse in my view, they go away feeling that plumbing is a piece of cake; that anyone can do it, there is no 'skill' in it, so it is cheap.

So, please let me know which of those you look forward to or are acceptable to you? ;)

The way I see it all advice given here should be the correct way of doing things.
Even if dodgy advice is given and people say No that is not the proper and correct way it is too late as the OP has already seen and read it and are on the their way to a diy shed.

Reply to Giving advice on here - thoughts? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock